This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need gardening advise

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
le-lou
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need gardening advise

Postby le-lou » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Here is what I have done so far. I plowed the garden with
my dics plow and it worked great. I then chopped it with the
choppers until I was satisfied that the dirt was fine enough.
Now the next step is to make the furrows. Now the question is
can I do this with my dics plow.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Question? What are we planting? How big of a garden do we have?

Furrows? That is the space between the earth turned over by the plow and the unturned earth. I'm assuming you mean rows - to plant seed in.

Most seeds are only planted just under the surface. The desired depth varies by specific plant. A plow was not intended to make rows.

I have a very small garden. I use two sticks and a string to mark the intended row. Then drag the corner of a hoe along the string at the desired depth. Plant the seeds at the desired spacing. Cover the seeds with the hoe. Recover the string - leaving the sticks as row markers.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:03 am

White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:05 am

Garden keeps growing!!!I need a planter now.Might do by hand [all day project]Ketcham. ps a guy showed how in a earlier posts with disc hillers!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:33 pm

This may give you a lot of help/ideas, etc., It's from last year, but still same procedure!
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=19413
It does contain 28 pages, so prepare to spend some time going thru the whole thread!!---All the equipment we use is in the pics. as we used them so you can see how things went for us!! thanks; sonny

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:51 am

Sonny,

I've read your thread @ http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=19413 and followed along with it since you posted it last year on Farmallcub.com. Believe me it was very captivating to watch you and other’s grow garden(s) from scratch. Some of the fascinating things were; (other than watching the gardens grow) the tools you and others made to make things easier, the real world problems a Farmer goes through with the weather, insects and crop failure(s).

A few years ago, as an experiment to show my two younger sons the reality of life, I put aside six acres of ground for them to farm and see if they could make an income off of it. The ground being typical Missouri clay never grew corn or beans very well. Of course mom and dad pumped them up saying "if you work hard and do it the right way, good things will come." I let them use my small tractors like Ford “N’s and Cub Cadets to do their plowing, disking and cultivating. They begged their Grandpa and me for our Farmall Cub’s but they are off limits because Grandpa uses his all the time and I don’t want any scratches on mine. :lol:

Naturally it was rough on them the way they had to plant and do things. I made it rougher on them for example; when a tractor was required to go into the field they had to pay for the time and fuel. I naturally put this “on the cuff” but it showed them what the machinery cost and cost to run machinery. They set up a road side stand, advertised with signs along the local roads and sold at flee markets on the weekends.

So for, they have broke even and made a little extra money with help from mom and dad. But most of all, it has showed them what work is and what a farmer goes through each and every year.

This year they hope to join with permission, the 2007 addition of http://www.mytractorforum.com garden thread to display their progress and learn from the Garden 2007 thread posts.

Things are off to a slow and late start this year because of the weather, but the plowing and the disking are done. As soon as it warms up they will start planting.

:D Thanks Sonny for making me aware of this link and thread.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”