This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shaft repair???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shaft repair???

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:40 pm

Would it be possible to build up the differential shaft and axle shaft where the seal rides with say JB Weld & then turn it back down to the correct size? Is JB Weld tough enough to withstand the seal riding on it or will it wear a groove in it quickly? I checked into Redi-sleeves at our local auto parts store, but aside from the fact that you have to sell your body parts to pay for them, they can only get 3 of the 4 sizes I need. The shafts are not real bad but need some attention.

One member on this board suggested machining the shaft to clean it up and then taking the spring out of the seal and shortening it some to put a little more pressure on the shaft.

Is their any other method other than flame spraying, I could use to fix this?

Any & all comments are welcome. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shafts

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:18 pm

The news seals that I put in my tractor were a different thinkness than the original ones. I just set mine a little deeper so that they would ride on an unworn portion of the shafts. No leaks two or three years later.

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

Return to “Farmall Cub”