This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub won't start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsherman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub won't start

Postby jsherman » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 am

Hello I am new to cubs & this site. I just got a cub and when I picked it up it ran, in fact when I went to get it the guy had it running. I got it home and when I went to start it it started but not easily. I rebuilt the carb because it was leaking badly, lapped & adjusted the valves, put in new plugs, cap, points, wires, & condensor. It has great spark, timing is correct, plenty of compression but will not start! When I coke it I can get gas to the bottom of the carb and it will even drip there, but it will only fire. I took the plugs out and they are not wet with gas so it looks like for some reason I'm not getting enough fuel? it acts like it's starving for gas.

Any help would be appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:50 am

Try pulling the hose off from the air cleaner to the carb and spray a little starting fluid into the carb inlet while cranking. If it fires and wants to run, it is a fuel problem. You might want to re-trace your steps on the ignition system. Verify timing etc. - just to be sure.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:55 am

Thank's for joining, glad to have you aboard.
My first guess is that there is a little strainer where the fuel line comes into the carb that may be pluged and over looked when overhalling the carb, next would be the fuel bowl under the tank and third would be the tank it self. You should have a good flow of fuel from the tank to carb. takeing the line off at the carb and letting a pint or more will tell you if it's from the tank or if it's at the carb. Hope this helps "Jack"

jsherman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsherman » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:31 pm

Thanks for the fast responses, I have been through the tank and fuel sediment bowl & valve are new. I'll check the strainer in the carb & make sure I didn't get anything in there when I had it apart.

Thanks!

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:37 pm

If you haven't been here yet check it out http://www.farmallcub.com/HLChauvin.htm

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Also make sure the carb and manifold gaskets are sealing well.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

jsherman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsherman » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:31 pm

Thanks for all of the advise, I back tracked and started going over everything I had worked on and found a few problems. Now it fires right up and runs great.

Thanks,

Jim

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:29 pm

Had those spark plug wires messed up, right? Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt. Just a guess.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

jsherman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsherman » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:34 pm

Float level was wayyyyyy off. Someone had put a 12 Volt coil on it also.

Return to “Farmall Cub”