This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FLYWHEET RE-POSITIONING

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

FLYWHEET RE-POSITIONING

Postby rleggitt » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:28 am

oK,

I AN SURE THIS HAS BEEN ASKED BUT COULD NOT FIND. CAN THE FLYWHEEL BE RE-POSITIONED 90 deg OR 180 deg FROM THE ORIGINAL MOUNTING POSITION IN ORDER TO GET THE WORN TEETH IN A DIFFERENT SPOT?

THANKS FOR THE HELP I KNOW I WILL GET.

SURE HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A "G-R-E-A-T" NEW YEAR. THE QUESTIION IS WHAT IS IN STORE FOR "04.

I KNOW YOU THINK YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU THINK YOU HEARD. HOWEVER, I AM NOT SURE THAT WHAT YOU THINK YOU HEARD IS WHAT I INTENDED. :idea:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:45 am

I'm not quite sure I understand your ?, If your saying to take off the flywheel and turn it 180 and put the bolts back in, it wouldnt make any difference. If your saying to flip the flywheel 180, You can't but if you wish to flip the ring gear, yes that is possible, however it's the same amount of work as if you put on a new ring gear and there about 30.00 from IH Case. It's well worth the effert to go with the new. I sure hope this is of some help to you as I didn't quite understand the ?
"Jack"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:05 pm

Russ,

I understand your question and the answer is yes. 180 degrees wouldn't help at all, but 90 degrees would. (the worn places on a 4 cylinder will usually be exactly opposite each other) You can easily drive the ring gear off the flywheel. Mark it carefully so you don't lose your place. Use a drift and do it cold. To re-install it just heat it with a torch until it is uncomfortable to hold and it will slip right on.

Moving it so the starter engages in a different place can buy a lot of time if you don't count your labor, but I won't argue the economics against a new replacement.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:39 pm

another solution, is to use a 4 or 4 1/2 inch grinder to renew the bevel on the end of the flywheel teeth. I did that on my 48 about 6 years ago. Might even be able to do it through the starter hole using a Dremel tool, but would be time consuming. Have you checked the teeth on the starter drive to see if theys are the main culprit rather tahn the ring gear. As has been stated, you can repositon the ring gear, but if I remember correctly the flywheel has a dowel pin and will only go on one way.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:21 pm

Thanks for the posts guys.

For the most part this is a case of ask before you look. This is the 1950 that I am going through completely. I had the tractor seperated but asked the question before I went back to the tractor shed and saw that there is a locator pin in the flywheel. So moving the flywheel is out. I think since I will have this much invested I will go ahead and replace the ring gear and be done with it.

After the post , I remembered helping [ actually watching] ,you know, "we killed the bear" but daddy shot him, my dad take the ring gear off the old "Super C". The best I remember we put the ring gear in the fire place for a short time to heat it.

Thanks again fellows.

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:22 pm

rleggitt, I think I agree with you, I would just go ahead and get a new one. The old ring can easily be removed by drilling a hole through the side of the ring and then hitting the hole with a cold chisel. The ring will break. I have never replaced one on our Cubs, maybe it will just knock off but on most flywheels the ring sits in a recess in the flywheel so breaking the ring works a lot easier. Sometimes I put the flywheel in an icechest with dryice.
Michael

Return to “Farmall Cub”