This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What a difference those chains make!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scott Blystone
10+ Years
10+ Years

What a difference those chains make!

Postby Scott Blystone » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:54 am

Plowing last year (1st cub winter) was a waste since even a gradual incline was too slippery. Since my Willys plow Jeep broke an axle before Christmas, I decided to put chains on the cub and see what happened. I ordered 8x24 standard chains from http://www.tirechains. Easy to put on, only 15 minutes or so. Last night was the first good test with some nice areas of drifted snow 3' deep or more. Ahhhhh Pushed right through it, no hesitation at all. Also, most of you weather watchers know that upstate NY saw some cold temps last week (next few days as well). Low was -24 at my house Friday AM - a new record for the house. Anyhow, the night before, the cub started no problem at -10. Of course I stalled it trying to run the hydraulics before it was warmed up, but it does start fine with a well tuned 6 volt system - and it had not been started in about 10 days prior. Looks like the cub will make a fine backup plow system. I do wish I had a power angle on it and also a float position and also wider wings....... Anyone ever put a homemade extension on the plow blade?

Since I got my cub Thanksgiving 2002, I have collected a single bottom plow, tandem disk harrow, sickle mower, Mott flail mower, grader blade, and a wagon. Love it, really cuts down on my work around the house. have not tried the Mott mower yet - looks like a real bear to hookup and the grass got too long for it before I could get it on last year. Also have rebuilt carb/starter/generator, run new wires and fuel lines. Really need to add some red paint.

Throught I would share my fun and success since everything I know about and have done to this tractor has come from reading what you folks write.

Stay warm.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:12 am

went through the same thing for several years, on a long hilly gravel road. Finally tried wrapping some heavy duty dog chains around the wheels for a season or two, untill I could afford a good set. Makes a big difference in traction.

Regarding the Mott, it is not near as hard to install as it looks. Set it where you have plenty of room, and then drive with the right side of the tractor next to it on the hitch side of the mower. The Mott is sturdy enough you can run the front wheel over the hitch and cut the steering hard right while applying the right brake. You will end up with the Mott setting under the tractor in approximately the right position to mount. The Motts are good mowers, but don't have any lifting action so if anything is laying down it doesn't get cut. They also will wrap up in tall stringy grass such as fescue, but for a general purpose mower, especially when there is a danger of throwing things, they do a good job. I've been using one for 15 years.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:41 pm

I think all who have chains can attest to the "Night & Day" difference they make while you are pushing snow or in the mud.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Elmer Fields
10+ Years
10+ Years

cHAINS & Mott mower

Postby Elmer Fields » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:29 pm

I too have used a mott mower for probably 25 or more year and love it. It takes a while to sharpen the knives but it's well worth it. Also I use those little spring clips instead of cotter keys. They are faster to change but I loose one now & then. The chains still don't get me up my driveway since about 1/3 of it is pretty steep. I have wheel weights and have been told that fluid would add about 400 lbs. Any one know if thats about right?
By the way I just made the step but just got it painted today.
Elmer.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Re: cHAINS & Mott mower

Postby Jeff M » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:27 am

Elmer Fields wrote: I have wheel weights and have been told that fluid would add about 400 lbs. Any one know if thats about right?
Elmer.

I have chains on loaded tires w/weights and while I don't have the incline that you do, I can't imagine it wouldn't chug through/over/up just about anything. Mine will push snow til it comes over the top of the blade and just keeps on pushin'.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

rocketman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rocketman » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:31 am

For those of us with paved driveways, what do the chains do to the driveway in the way of marks or gouges, if anything? The last two years in NJ have been unusual with snow. I used to call our winters "sissy". Not any more.

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:17 pm

No problems that I've seen. I've run chains on our drive for 5 years and no marks. Really, it's a lot easier to plow now than when it was a gravel drive.

Our drive has a small hill (Maybe 6' rise in 300' length) in the middle and then slopes down (About 2' in a 100' length) to the road. I would crown over the hill going out to the road and start to dig in pretty bad when it was gravel not to mention when the snow was wet I would get a tube of snow going in front of the blade and start picking up gravel pretty bad.

Oscar
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Return to “Farmall Cub”