This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

transmission clatter in 2nd & 3rd gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

transmission clatter in 2nd & 3rd gear

Postby Kirk » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:51 am

Hello,

As of today, I believe I'm the newest member and am very glad I have found this forum.

We were just given my wife's grandfathers Cub of which he purchased new in 1949. I've admired it for the past 20 years as it runs well and has been kept "under roof" all of it's life. As it's in it's original condition, it obviously needs a little of everything of which I intend to give it.

Being a new member, I've looked over many of the posted questions/comments but have not found any info on my question which is: While running in 2nd and 3rd gear there is come clatter. Though it runs smoothly in these gears, I'm assuming this is not normal. Any advice?

Many thanks
Kirk

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:52 am

The first thing I would do is drain the oil out of the tranny and see if there is any water in it. Clatter could be noise from rusted worn bearings. Even though it was parked/stored inside all that time the tranny could still collect a lot of condensation over that amount of years if it has not been changed.
Then came Bronson

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:59 am

I might add to also check wheel lug bolts and bolt on the final drives

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:38 pm

Thanks Dogman and John!! That'l be my project for this week......along with ordering a service manual.

Thx again to both of you for the quick reply.

Kirk

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:53 pm

Kirk, After ready reading your post I got to thinking about my Cub. It has a good bit of tranny noise butt its hard to describe. I've heard from others that Cubs are noted for having a certain amount of that and is normal. Yet I haven't actually compared mine to others. So when you descibe this clatter I wonder just what you may actually being hearing? I might say mine is more of a grinding noise and it doesn't appear to effect operation. I'm just writing to say you might not want to get to tear it down just yet in case some of your noise is normal. I too am somewhat new to this forum and haven't read to much talk on this subject. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say about their experience with tranny noise.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:04 pm

Welcome aboard Kirk, and congratulations on the cub. One of the first things I would do is take detailed pictures of the decalls on it. That way if you should decide to restore it someday, you will have a good record of what type and where they go. If the paint is good, and not rusty, I would have a tendancy to leave that part alone. It's something special to have one that old and still in the original paint.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:31 pm

WKPoor

The p.o. on the 49 had the same noise said he rebuilt the gear box and still has the same noise :cry: but it is still working 5 year now :D

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:52 pm

That's the trouble with having multiple Cubs. I have 3 that are nearly silent. That says some of the others aren't as quiet as they could be. I have a transmission case completely re-done that I expect to be nearly silent too, but it will be a major operation to swap it to that one that is a disappointment.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:54 pm

I don’t have the service manual in front of me but, I think the Cub transmission is a conventional design manual transmission.

I can’t understand how you get the same noise from second and third gear. In second gear the input shaft is turning the countershaft to the output shaft. Third gear is turning the main shaft and the countershaft has no pressure on it at all. If you had same noise in first, second and third you can look at the output shaft bearing. If you had noise in first, second and not in third you can look at the input shaft bearing and possibly the countershaft needle bearings.

I guess it could be the rear main shaft bearing but, you would really hear that in first gear.

Does the noise get louder going up or going down a hill?

:? I’m confused but, that’s normal.

Jack Fowler

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:02 pm

What about the 2nd/3rd gear slider, or the fork that moves it?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:55 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:What about the 2nd/3rd gear slider, or the fork that moves it?

Also if the first/rev fork is bent and not properly dis-engaging you would get noise in 2 and 3, maybe neutral too?
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:26 pm

Jack Fowler wrote:I don’t have the service manual in front of me but, I think the Cub transmission is a conventional design manual transmission.

The countershaft is the output shaft. No matter what gear you are using, there is pressure against the bearings (all of them to varying degrees).

The gears are straight cut and when worn produce a whine. Since it is wear induced, the transmission will be loudest in whatever gear was used most. That is the common "normal" noise. Clicking, grinding, rumbling and clatter are all different noises, each with their own likely causes.

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

transmission clatter

Postby Kirk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:26 am

Jack asked if the clatter gets worse when going up or down a hill. I honestly can't tell you as I live in Florida where there are no hills. The clatter is the same though in both gears.

Just a little more info on the Cub.....my father-in-law has used it twice every year for the past 40 years to simply disc his garden prior to planting. It was rarely taken out of 1st gear other than to drive it from the barn to the garden.

Kirk

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:15 am

Hi Kirk,

I also live in Milton. I'm about 10 east of the city limits off Hwy 90. The old American Farms area if your familiar with that area. At the moment I have the front axle and steering off my '57 but hope to have it back together as soon as the weather lets me prime the parts. Maybe after I get it together you can listen to it and compare the sounds to those your Cub produces. I wouldn't say that mine is silent, but the "wine" it makes doesn't sound too different from my other Farmall's.

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Milton too?

Postby Kirk » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:27 am

Slappy,

For an area that's as small as Milton, I'm surprised that we have two enthusiasts on this forum that's from the same small town. Do you have a home email address that I can have to correspond to?

Kirk

Return to “Farmall Cub”