This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deluxe Seat & Rear Rockshaft?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Deluxe Seat & Rear Rockshaft?

Postby Harold R » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:01 pm

I guess the two just don't go together. I put a rear rockshaft on my '74 and the only way I could see mounting the seat bracket(left side) was to put it on top of the rockshaft. I'm tired of leaning to the right while tractoring. I know I could break out the torch and scrap metal and come up with some thing, but was this the reason for the fast hitch? To accomodate the deluxe seat? I've thought about shimming it to even it out, but that makes the seat too high...I'd need a tilt sterring wheel just to get in the seat!!

HR Image

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:53 pm

This is just my opion here as I don't realy have any expearence with that seat,however it would apear that the shime under the seat frame would only be 1/2''the thickness of the rock shaft, and wouldn't affect you much at the stearing wheel, That's a nice rock shaft, Haven't seen many like that. "Jack"

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:52 pm

That's a nice rock shaft, Haven't seen many like that. "Jack"

Yeah, I get a lot of comments on it. It came on the '49 I got last year. It was hooked to the rear cultivator booms. It's quite handy. The general consensus is that it isn't anything original. Works good though.
As far as the seat, I can't go higher. The steering wheel almost rubs the the top of my legs now. It really needs to come down that 1/2 inch. I do have room to move the seat back a little though. I was just wondering aloud if there wasn't some other arrangement that you could use a deluxe seat and a rear rockshaft together. Don't think I've seen that combo? Have you?
HR

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:43 pm

hr's49cub wrote:[Yeah, I get a lot of comments on it. It came on the '49 I got last year. It was hooked to the rear cultivator booms. It's quite handy. The general consensus is that it isn't anything original. Works good though.
As far as the seat, I can't go higher. The steering wheel almost rubs the the top of my legs now. It really needs to come down that 1/2 inch. I do have room to move the seat back a little though. I was just wondering aloud if there wasn't some other arrangement that you could use a deluxe seat and a rear rockshaft together. Don't think I've seen that combo? Have you?
HR

It's the first rockshaft like it I've seen. I don't see how it could have anything to do with how your seat fits. Are you sure your seat is really one for a Cub? The frame looks a little wide, and the cushions don't look normal.

The usual rear rockshaft and deluxe seat work together (with the seat bracket on top) just fine on my '63. I did make one change from original. I drlled extra holes so I could move the seat back farther.

Is your steering shaft longer, as mine is? Naturally, as the wheel is moved back, it also raises. Mine is 4 or 5 inches longer than the other Cubs. Is your shifter straight or bent forward? These changes were made on the tractors that came later wirh the deluxe seat. It wasn't available in '49.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:43 pm

I believe this to be the original seat frame. I know the cushions are not. It was the way I found it.

The usual rear rockshaft and deluxe seat work together (with the seat bracket on top) just fine on my '63

George, you didn't have to raise the other bracket to make the seat level? Or, shorten the one on top of the rockshaft?
HR

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:43 pm

George, you didn't have to raise the other bracket to make the seat level? Or, shorten the one on top of the rockshaft?
HR

No, I didn't have to change anything. Your extended steering shaft, angled shifter, and seat frame tell me you have a much later tractor than '49. Is there any red paint under the yellow?
George Willer

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:18 pm

George, the yellow tractor is a '74. He took the rockshaft off of his '49.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:31 pm

Nah, that's my '74 I bought last summer. Somewhat of a basket case when I bought it. Sold as a non-running has been. After two weeks of tinkering I got her running like a top. Good, strong motor. Just a slight wiff of smoke at start-up. I'll split it this spring for a new clutch and release bearing. Then it's new paint, tires and such. Good hydraulics too. The weird rockshaft came on my '49 I got a while back when I first got interested in cubs. I've sinced purchased a woods 42c mowing deck. That and a 193 moldboard usually stay with the '49. I have some gardening implements that I'll use with the '74, so I moved the unusual rockshaft to the '74. Pics of the '49 are on Rudi's site.
HR

P.S. George, did you make it to Monroe during the Holidays?

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:15 am

Had the same problem when I install my rockshaft on my (60) cub. Have a deluxe seat. Made 1/2 inch spacer on right side of the mounting bolts(2).leveled out fine.There is no way the that you can mount the left side(3)Bolt under the rockshaft.When I first looked @ it. I thoght some big Guy was pulling himself up on the tractor and bent the seat.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:36 am

P.S. George, did you make it to Monroe during the Holidays?

No, but thank you for remembering. My Son Joe came here instead for a couple weeks.
George Willer

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:14 pm

Seems to me that there is a bracket missing.
On my '67 Loboy which looks alot like your '74, there is a bracket mounted on top the battery box area, this bracket allows the seat to be mounted "up and back" of the steering wheel. There are a series of holes for mounting, short legs ahead, long legs back.

Anyone know what I am talking about?
Just Do It !

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:55 pm

Seems to me that there is a bracket missing.

It's quite possible. I'm going to look through the parts manual to see, when I get some time today. I would still like to see a photo or diagram of a deluxe seat/rear rockshaft combo. I'm not doubting George W. for a minute, If anybody could do it, It'd be him. I just question did the ever come from the factory as such.
HR

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:03 pm

I may be all wet here but from the picture in the first post it appears that one could notch the left hand seat mount and slide it under the rock shaft mount. Am I missing something?

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:54 pm

It would take a notch at least half the width of the bracket.

I could do several things the even the seat out. I just wondered if it was ever a factory option for a deluxe seat/rear rockshaft. I'm begining to think it wasn't. I'll fix it. I just hate to bend up something original. I've already thought about shimming up the right side. But, those two bolts that go into the axel housing are there to stay. When I come up with something, I'll post it.
HR

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:53 pm

H.R.,

I always thought my combination on the '63 was original, but now I'm not so sure. I did go check it out carefully and did find a modification on the right seat bracket. It's well hidden between the battery box and the toolbox, but there is a piece of angle welded there. Then I looked to see what I would do if I were in your position. I think I would remove the left bracket and cut 1/2" off the top. (It should come off easily) Then I'd drill new holes... maybe on both brackets to move the seat back. Mine is moved back nearly 3". I like it that way.

It's hard to believe IH would have built a tractor that they couldn't use the rear rockshaft on.

George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”