This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seat Time

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Seat Time

Postby Rudi » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:10 pm

The past few days have been kinda different. My wife lost her godfather/uncle on Thursday morning as he was cleaning the driveway and getting the newspaper. Needless to say, the past 4 days have been busy.

The funeral was this morning. So was the snow storm! It was not much fun to drive thru the mess this morning in the cortege, but all made it safe and sound and the funeral mass started only 5 minutes late.

After the funeral however, things changed. Instead of a mess to have to plow thru with the van, it had now turned into something special -- Seat Time :!: :D

As you might remember, I enjoyed plowing snow with Ellie last winter. However, I did not know how to maintain her properly, get her running right and full of sass. She performed real well I thought. This year? WOW!

After all the help and mentoring form y'all here on the board, plus a few judicious purchases, a little tinkering and of course a paint job on the plow, things have changed.

What an awesome tractor the Cub is. We had about 12 to 14 inches of snow today (with more expected - yeah!). Ellie has her shoes on right, has chains now and a painted plow. Boy was it ever a lot of fun. It is so amazing at how effortlessly she was able to plow all that snow. Also, she had to contend with the snow from the blizzard last Weds that I didn't get cleaned up for the above reasons.

I got about 5 1/2 hours of seat time today. Did my driveways (twice) and they are 100 feet and 175 feet roughly and both on a hill. Once that was done, had to cross the road and go do my Father-in-laws driveway. He didn't take the Massey out - the Cub did it!

What a wonderful day!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:03 am

My condolences on your loss.

But from the sounds of your plowing, the only thing you need is a couple more neighbors :!: you seem to have run out of driveways to plow :!:

received your parts, by the way.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:09 pm

Art, I live about 50-60 miles from Rudi, and I can assure you he will have no shortage of snow to plow for a while yet!! :lol: It's been snowing all day again today, and even if it hadn't, it's blowing enough to fill back in , in no time flat! :roll:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:19 pm

Rudi,

(1) Condolences on your loss.

(2) Congratulations on your snowfall, translating to valuable seat time.

A few hundred miles southwest of you all we've had is c-c-c-c-cold temps, hardly any snow. I DID plow a less-than-an-inch storm (to keep it from turning into a skim of ice, of course), and Sunday I went down to the lake and plowed a beautiful skating rink--the only problem is, nobody around here wants to skate. Started off plowing straight an area that was big enough to turn around in, and then just angled the blade and went around and around (in 3rd gear, no less!) just curling that snow off the blade, making the circle bigger and bigger. Neighbors probably thought I was nuts. Best Sunday I've had in months.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:41 pm

Hey guys:

Thanks, appreciate it. And I have passed it all on to my wife Emilie.

Art: My Brother-in-law decided he was going to plow the logging road so he could store some steel down below the pond. I now have some more road to plow with Ellie!

Got into it again today, really good time - 2 hours in the seat and wishing for more, but a dental appointment got in the way.....

Jeff:

I know what you mean - we had temps down to -47. Lots of wind and major wind chill problems. Most of our snow had melted and we only had about 2 or 3 inches on average and less than an inch in most places until Monday morning. The rest of it was caused by the winds picking it up and dumping it in my driveway!!!!

We are looking for at least another 4 to 6 feet, especially if we expect the water table to rise to sufficient levels in the spring. Last year we had water level problems and we need to have major snowfalls to help. If you look at the news - Alberta and Saskatchewan are having winter droughts - not enough snow cover to provide for a decent water table level. Most likely another draught again this year for them....

The one thing I do wish is that my blade angled. partsman and I have been thinking on it and maybe we got it figured out.. but, the plow as is works great and the snow has just been rolling off the front end and Ellie is running like a top. It is one of the most enjoyable things I do!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:22 pm

Rudi,
I'm envious of your seat time! I need to rethink my priorities. How could anything possibly be more important than getting my tractors in running shape? :D

Ike

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:45 pm

Rudi, I thought it did angle? :? Isn't there 3 holes in the pipe on each side ?? I fergit!

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:55 pm

Hey Partsman..... Your right about the positioning. Mine has 5 different positions. Left & right at 11 and 22 degrees, plus straight.
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:55 am

David:

Come to think of it, there just might be! Will have to check that out!

Thanks for reminding me.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:49 pm

Ya know, I am really beginning to like this week already. Another 8 inches last night. Got to play with Ellie again today.

David: you were right! Pulled the blade out to the next hole, angled the blade about 15 degrees or so. Just perfect. The driveway is really clean now. Only have a few more minor adjustments to do.

It sure is a pleasure to plow with a Cub that runs so nice. Lots of power!

Got some pics to upload from Wednesday's plowing session and a little story! Will upload either tonight or tomorrow. Gotta rebuild my wife's computer tonight!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:38 pm

We're getting a light dusting of snow right now. They're calling for 2 to 4" by Sunday. Maybe I'll get to play too! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:39 pm

BD:

I sure hope you get to play and have some seat time. It is becoming a must have for me - thanks to y'all. It will probably be a few more days before I get to take Ellie out again. It is down to -23 tonight and crystal clear. No snow in the forecast. Of course, if it gets real windy, then I guess I will have to take her out to clean up the drifts :roll:

Ike:

I hope you get em running soon. Feels awful good to have a fine running Cub under yer rump :!: :wink:

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:43 pm

Rudi, glad it's working out for you! :D

See, now that's why I can't remember b'days, anniversaries, and stuff like that. My head is full of important info like details on a home-made blade we sold like 2-3 years ago!! :lol:

Preacherman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Preacherman » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:45 pm

God supplies comfort in a lot of different ways.

My best to you and your family.
Sam "Preacherman" Fowler

God built us a bridge to heaven with two boards and three nails.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:53 pm

I might get some seat time soon. Now, I have to decide which tractor to use.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”