This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brake Band, etc.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Malcolm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Brake Band, etc.

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:46 am

Have a right side brake that doesn't seem to want to work, so have some questions.
1 - Pulled the wheel and final drive off and it actually came apart without too much trouble. When the long shaft came out I started getting fluid coming out from the transmission. Could not get my arm far enough in there to plug it up, so let it run out. Should I have been getting fluid? and how much. Put fluid back in after sealing it all back up and before running it.
2 - The PO had installed the brake band with the brake pin in backwards. This caused the brake band to be off center from the drum and when pressed would slide off toward the wheel side. I changed the pin around to the correct way and reinstalled everything. It still slides off the brake drum. Could this be because it is bent or damamged and will not work now? Should I just get a new one or try to make the old one work???
3 - A third question not having to do with the brakes. As I was disassembling the front of the engine to work on the fan assembly I noticed the air breather connection to the carb was loose. I moved it a little and the plastic pipe between the air breather and the carb just fell apart. The two 'c' clamps were just barely holding it together. My question is what size rubber hose is the correct size to use and what type of rubber hose is correct to use. Would also like to know if this hose is something you can find locally at an automotive store or do I need to order it from my dealer???
Thanks for any help and have a great weekend !
malcolm

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:19 pm

Malcolm,

1. Your transmission case is WAY overfilled. Often that happens because water has found it's way in. It would be a good idea to drain it completely and re-fill it with 3 1/2 pt. of 90 wt... or until it runs out the level check plug, low on the left side of the case. Many prefer Hy-Tran... I don't.

2. Your brake band is probably bent or worn funny from being improperly installed. You'll have to either straighten or replace it.

3. You can replace the hose with standard 1 1/4 radiator hose from the auto parts house, but buy plenty. You'll be replacing it regularly unless you can find a neoprene hose. I can't.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:25 pm

I went to a rubber products supply company and bought a foot of gas hose. Turns out the hose on a lot of gas pumps is 1 1/4 inch. Tough to cut though, it has a reinforcing wire in it.

Most gas pumps now seem to have hoses with vapor return built into them, so I suppose this source will be gone before long.

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:56 pm

Any industrial hose supplier will have the hose. Cut it with a hacksaw, then buff the ends square and clean on a bench grinder and it will look very proper. If you use stainless band clamps and turn the screw tighener part down and under where you won't see them, it looks like a factory crimp clamp.

Same with your upper and lower radiator hoses. Any parts department of a major truck stop or semi-truck repair shop will also be a good supplier.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:10 pm

what eats the air cleaner hose? heat or fuel vapor? i thought i was all set with a piece of regular NAPA hose, apparently not.

fuel oil delivery trucks might use the correct size hose (no vapor return requirements, yet) and thus provide a source. i need a piece, so if anyone has found a supply ?

learn something new every day !
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:07 pm

Hey all:

For the hose - I just went to my CaseIH Dealer. Guess what? He had it in stock! I think it cost me all of $2.50 or $3.00.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Malcolm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:52 pm

Cub Master Willer,
Thanks for the information. Have not seen any water in the tranny. The problem is probably more with me. After getting the cub, the information that I had on the tranny was to just make sure you had enough fluid for everything to be coated. So, I added until I could see thru the top that everything was getting plenty of fluid. I had planned to redo all the fluids this winter and the tranny is the only one left. I will be taking your advice and using 90wt.
Thanks to the rest for information. If I can get by the dealer this weekend will try him for the hose, otherwise will hit my auto parts shop for some 1-1/4" hose.
Just got a notice that Northwestern Missouri could be in for some ice tomorrow. Time to check the generator and fill up the gas can !
Have a great weekend
malcolm

Return to “Farmall Cub”