This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulic Question

Postby Tom Z. » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:22 pm

Well, I pushed around a few inches of snow today, not because it needed it, but another storm is coming that may bring a lot more. The hydraulics stopped working after about 4 minutes. I couldn't move the blade up or down.

I checked the fluid level, and it was low, so I filled it to the bottom of the fill hole.

I started it up again, and everything seemed fine, but after a few more minutes it quit working again. It was then that I noticed fluid was spraying out from around the place where the pump attaches and where the lines attach to the pump.

Did I overfill it and blow the seals? Or do the seals just give out like that when they go?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom Z.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:11 pm

Is the bolt tight? There are 2 o rings there for sealing 11/16 x 7/8 x 3/32 I think. You may can resuse the gasket on the other end. Is it coming from the tube are where the flange fits to the pump. Could be tube assy. Take the old rings with you when you go after new ones.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Peter S
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub
1963 cub

Postby Peter S » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:53 pm

I had a similar problem on my 51'. It turned out to be a fracture on one of the tubes right were it was silver soldered into the block that attaches to the pump.
Peter

1951 Cub, 1963 Cub

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:52 pm

Maybe you can get someone to repair tube. If not here is a place to get then used.http://www.tmtractor.com/hy/5295_001.htm

Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Shame on me...

Postby Tom Z. » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:50 am

I really hate to admit what I found out about my hydraulic problem today.

I took off the lines, and the seals didn't look too bad, but I'll replace them anyway, then I turned my attention to the pump.

I discovered one of the bolts holding it on was missing, and the other 3 were loose. Now, I KNOW I tightened them, when I reassembled the tractor.

Either the dreaded CRS syndrome has infected me (along with the many gray hairs that are appearing), or those puppies managed to loosen way up from heating/cooling and vibration. Either way, I'm going over everthing else on the tractor I can put a wrench on to make sure nothing else is falling off.

Has anybody else had a problem like this?

I am really relieved the lines are o.k., but I sure feel like a nincompoop.

Thanks for the advice and help.

I'm off to the hardware store for new seals before the snow that's expected tonight.

Thanks again.

Tom Z.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:23 am

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my
memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:07 pm

FYI-If your lines had been cracked- I once saw a repair on our 727Super I'll never forget. Opened the cowling one day for routine check and notice a line repair as follows. The line was rapped tightly with maybe .032 safety wire over the cracked area about 1/2inch out from both ends of the crack. Then the whole area was silver soldered. It made a neat, very strong line repair that had probably been there for many years before I ever got in the business. Bill

Return to “Farmall Cub”