This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hoppin' John

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Hoppin' John

Postby Dennis » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 pm

I'm looking for a tried and true recipe for Hoppin' John. Anyone got a favorite?

Thanks,
Dennis

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:13 pm

I might, if I knew what Hoppin' John was. :wink: :roll: 8) :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Blackeyed peas?

1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
2 cans (about 16 ounces each) black-eyed peas, slightly drained, or about 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3 cups hot cooked rice
salt to taste
sliced sweet onion, optional
PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan sauté chopped onion in bacon drippings until tender. Stir in black-eyed peas, ham, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes; stir in hot cooked rice and salt. Serve Hoppin' John hot with sliced onion.

My mother used barley instead of rice.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Tue May 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:I might, if I knew what Hoppin' John was. :wink: :roll: 8) :lol:

Bud, I'm :shock: 'd that you don't know what Hoppin' John is! And no, it's not John $@#!^# when he gets mad at his Cub :)

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Tue May 01, 2007 2:14 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:Blackeyed peas?

1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
2 cans (about 16 ounces each) black-eyed peas, slightly drained, or about 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3 cups hot cooked rice
salt to taste
sliced sweet onion, optional
PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan sauté chopped onion in bacon drippings until tender. Stir in black-eyed peas, ham, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes; stir in hot cooked rice and salt. Serve Hoppin' John hot with sliced onion.

My mother used barley instead of rice.

Thanks Carl. Apparently not everyone enjoys it, but the one time I had it (with blackeyed peas), it was very good. I also heard of a twist on it, using black beans instead -- they called it Hoppin' Juan...

Dennis

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoppin%27_John

Never had Hoppin' John. Sounds like this dish may have been served further South. I eat black-eyed peas, corn bread, pork tenderloin, and cabbage on New Year's Day.

Being from the South, I always thought Crowder Peas and Black-eyed Peas were not the same. :roll:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Thu May 03, 2007 7:45 am

Dennis (47 Cub), I never heard of it until now but did find these, sorry have not tried, but can review the ingredients of both and make modificaions to your lik'ens!

(1) INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups dry black-eyed peas
1 pound ham hocks
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS
In a large pat place the peas, ham hock, onion, red pepper, salt and pepper. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove ham hock and cut meat into pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in the rice, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle shredded cheese over top, if desired. Serve

Options were: Ham repleced ham hock, add pre minced garlic in the jar so I added about 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons. Also chopped up a green bell pepper and added it to the mix along with a can of chopped tomatoes with green chilis (rotell tomatoes)to give it a little extra bite.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) INGREDIENTS
1 pound sage pork sausage
1 (6 ounce) package uncooked long grain and wild rice mix, with seasoning packet
2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 cups water
salt to taste
DIRECTIONS
Crumble sausage into a skillet over medium heat and cook until evenly brown.
In a large pot, mix the cooked sausage, rice mix with seasoning packet, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Season to taste with salt.
Option were: added celery, green pepper and onion to the sausage as it browned. Only added one can of tomatoes and used 3 C chicken broth with 1 C water. Added all ingredients except rice and simmered for about an hour (reduced it some too). Added rice and simmered on heat for 10 minutes. Removed from heat and let sit until rice was done but not mushy.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”