This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel Tank Rust

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fuel Tank Rust

Postby Findoggy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:28 pm

I've recently been having trouble with my cub stalling after running about 30 minutes plowing snow (sure cuts into play time!). I have found that there is a small amount of rust inside the fuel tank and some "flakes" are clogging the line where it goes into the sediment bowl. Anyone have a good fix for this to tide me over until spring when it's warmer to do a more thorough job?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:45 pm

been there, done that all last winter :? :( Only fix I know is to have the tank sealed! Plan it for when the weatherman doesn't forecast sunny days, that way you will be sure to have a week of no snow :roll: :lol:
Maybe some of the guys will have a better answer for you I hope!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:00 pm

Hey Findoggy,

You might want to take a look at this. I have used the KREEM product on tractor and motorcycle fuel tanks. If you purchase it, follow the directions TO THE LETTER and it should work great.

http://www.ytmag.com/reviews/review1297.htm
Last edited by Cub-Bud on Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:33 pm

I recently had a tank from an Allis Chalmers cleaned at a radiator shop and then red coated. They wouldn't let me have it back for 4 weeks. They said the product they use takes that long to fully cure. They also guaranteed it to never ever leak. I've got some of the kreem butt never used it. The biggest issue would be getting the tank clean first. You might try power washing the inside first if your going to tackal youself. The rad shops soaked mine for days in some solution to eat the rust then power washed. Bill

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:36 am

The Eastwood Company (you can find them on the web) makes a tank sealer kit that works really well. In addition to the sealer, cleaner and de-ruster that comes with the kit, you will need to purchase acetone and muratic acid to do the job. I used this kit on my '44 H and it worked great. I plan to use it on my Cub and Super A too when I get around to restoring them.

tom in maryland(60loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years

findoggy's gas problem

Postby tom in maryland(60loboy) » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:17 pm

my lo-boy has your same problem, i use my tractor for snow plowing&dragging around log splitter. been meaning to seal tank for two years,did'nt do it, along came snow. found a cub cadet gas tank laying around, strapped it to side&back of lo-boy tank, used plastic chain &stainless rad clamps. ran gasoline rated rubber hose directly to carb, no filter, i have had this tractor 15 years &it has never run this good.gonna put reseal job on summer list------tom in maryland

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:23 pm

Hi Findoggy,

Saw your post on rusty gas tank. I use a product called POR15 to seal my
tanks. You may want to contact @ http://www.por15.com. They will have everything you will need to clean out and seal it with in a kit form. You may also want to contact KANO LABS makers of KROIL the best penetrating oil I know of. I use it first in the tank to help cut the rust. I strain and re-use the KROIL time and time again.

KANO LABS can be contacted @ http://www.kanolabs.com

Hope this helps.

Return to “Farmall Cub”