This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pump off of PTO?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Pump off of PTO?

Postby treesitter » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:01 pm

Is there a pump that can be mounted to a Cub and run off the PTO for pumping water?

I am currently working on my water well and sucking large volumes of water out of my 5' deep hole via a shop vac. Between emptying the vac a hundred times and the frigid cold temps freezing up the inside of the vac, I am curious if the Cub could help make this job a little easier. Although, even if there such a pump, it will be too late for this job, which I plan to finish tomorrow. But at least I will know for future reference :D

Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:21 pm

They did make one for the cub (aftermarket), but I don't know of anyone that has ever seen one. You could probably rig up something to run off a belt on a pto pulley, but it probably would be easier to get something like this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45020
Go to harborfreight.com, or norhterntool.com and search for sump pumps, or transfer pumps. Units similiar to this are usually at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. at similiar prices.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:54 pm

If 110 volt hookup is a problem, consider a 12 volt marine bilge pump powered by a deep cycle battery. Solar powered battery chargers are available.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:25 pm

Treesitter:

Funny you should bring up the topic of pumps to run from the PTO. I have been musing on that for a while as I consider which pump would be best for my planned sprayer wagon.

A Cub being 6 volt is not exactly set up to run those 12 volt sprayer pumps, so I was looking for something to run off of my PTO. I found it.

It is called a self-lubricating gear pump. You can find an example of what I mean by going to http://www.princessauto.com and downloading their latest catalog. Not the sales flyer but the big catalog. It is a PDF file. Once downloaded go to page 93 of the catalog and you will see what I mean.

Now, a platform will have to be fabricated and you must make this a direct drive application or it will wear out very very quickly. You will also have to get a union to fit the PTO shaft and reduce down to the pump drive shaft.

Nice thing about this pump, max rpm is 1800 == gee, I wonder what the max rpm on a Cub is :?: :roll: :D

partsman and I have already figured out most of what I will have to build for the sprayer and this pump is the puppy to use. I hope this helps.

Oh, I imagine you should be able to buy a pump such as this at Harbor Freight as well or a Farm Supply store.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:18 pm

Tried copying from the PDF and it seems to work. Here is the jpeg of the pump:

it is not as clear as I would like, but sufficient to give you at least a general idea.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:45 pm

Thanks for the responses. Don't know why I didn't think of a sump pump. Of course it would have been better to think of it before the hole filled up... I had a spare one too until a couple months ago when I lent it to a buddy for a temporary emergency repair. I guess it's still temporarily in use...

I have a Harbor Tool & Freight store not far and will check out what they have in stock tonight.

Rudy- your idea sounds like the best permanent solution for future applications. I'm going to look into fabricating what would be needed. Let me know how yours turns out. I have limited resources for 'fabricating' items but most of what you mentioned didn't sound too bad.

Although I sure don't plan on digging the well up again. This is the second time in a year. I've learned more about about water wells and jetpumps than I ever thought I would. This summer I'm going to upgrade- tapping into city water at the road. Unfortunately the road is 300' away. Do they make trenchers for Cub's? :lol:
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:31 pm

Rudi wrote:Tried copying from the PDF and it seems to work. Here is the jpeg of the pump:

it is not as clear as I would like, but sufficient to give you at least a general idea.

Rudi, I suspect the maiin problem you may have with that type pump for treesitter's application would be that dirt and sand in the water would cause it to wear pretty fast. Sump pumps are impellor pumps rather than gear drive pumps for that reason, in addition to the higher volume (but lower pressure) the impellor type delivers.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:04 pm

John:

Yup, you got a point there. :D I didn't think of that when I posted ..... :oops: :oops: But, there must be a way to draw the water and screen it so that the crud doesn't get into the gears? Yes? No?

The sump pump will work real nice, have one in the basement. Also, have used a jet pump to pump out my well when we started the re-habilitation. (still working on that one too, can't drink the city water, and buying 18L bottles costs about $1400.00/year, re-habilitating the well and having it piped to the house including new pump and filter system is about $3,000, so it makes sense to do it). The jet pump worked real nice and moved a lot of water.

I also use a sump pump for the fountain in the pond. It will run continuously without problem for 8-10 hours a day.

If a good screening system is used, that the pump would be a good idea for pumping water when you are not close enough for an electric pump :?: Thoughts :?:

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:28 am

Rudi,
Using a gear pump for an application that is going to pump water that is soil contaminated sounds like an old-fashioned Excedrin Headache!
The jet might be less of a trial, but the impeller or centrifugal with more clearance and less fussy about its conditiion sure sounds like a good idea.
Good Luck!
The temp is rising in IN - it is now +2F. We are getting warmed up to receive the stuff that John is going to send up from MO.
:o
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:32 am

I used to think severe weather was a fun challenge, now ti is just a pain. I'll send you as much of it as I can, I don't want it.

I have a new theory regarding snow removal. The good Lord put it there, and who am I to argue with him.

Return to “Farmall Cub”