This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planting sweet corn.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Planting sweet corn.

Postby Dave F. » Thu May 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Getting ready to plant sweet corn. Saturday, question is how far apart should my rows be, I like to be able to cultivate with the cub. I have the front end & rear tires in the narrowest posistions Thanks Dave F.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 17, 2007 3:28 pm

Dave there was a discussion recently about this. I think the general concensus was 36 to 40 inches works well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu May 17, 2007 3:28 pm

40" to match your wheel settings.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu May 17, 2007 3:46 pm

I went with the std 36" .Kevin :) :) :)
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:12 pm

Dave, that is where mine are set and they work out fine. Pete

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu May 17, 2007 8:12 pm

Dave, It is easy just follow your tracks when you exit one row come back down with the tires in the outer most track you came out of. what ever the spacing is on your tractor will be yhe same with the cultivatore. That is IF you are using the same tractor to plant as to cultivate with. Believe me an inch or two makes no difference
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Planting sweet corn

Postby Dave F. » Fri May 18, 2007 7:44 am

Dave B. I don't have a planter for my tractor, Planting will be done by hand, so I guess I'll leave 36" to 40" between my rows, Also when I plant my corn seed in the furrows (rows) should I scatter some fertilizer in there also ? Thanks Dave F.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 18, 2007 7:50 am

Dave:

We plant the same way. No planter, planting is done by hand be it for corn, taters, beans whatever......

After it is all plowed, disced and level, I start the 1st row with 1/2 of me Cub on the lawn, run down the field, then come back up with my left front tire in the tracks of the first trip. Then I go down with the right front in the preceeding track and keep repeating until I am done.

Then we usually walk the row. We sprinkle a little of 6-12-12 in the tire tracks, then we put down the seed. We then take the hillers and hill up and over. After that it is cultivating time. Probably about 3 weeks after, I manuall side dress with another layer of 6-12-12 and then continue cultivating. Been working for me for about 5 years now since I got Ellie, and about 16 before that working with the Putt-Putt. My father-in-law has been planting like this for nigh on 70 years now. Pretty common for small gardens around these parts.

Hope that was clearer than mud.. :wink: :D There are probably many different methods as there are gardens. :roll: 8) :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:07 am

Rudi,

I know that most of us do with what we have to do with. However, I would strongly suggest you folks look into the planter and fertilize distributor along with the lay off plow and the deep fertilize applicator. Without these, you all are missing out on one of the true joys of gardening with a Cub. You do it all in one pass, lay off the row, apply the seed, put down the fertilize and WALLA, you're finished.

I know that good operational planters, fertilize distributors, etc., are hard to come by, good ones at least, but these put the fun back into gardening!

Pete

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Pete:

I have never seen one.. and most folks I know who have Cubs and have had them for years and sometimes generations ... have never seen them either. They are a very rare critter here on the east coast, and I imagine that they would cost probably significantly more than the prices commanded for them in the US.

Unfortunately, we will probably never get to experience that ...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Rudi,

Good to hear from you again. For anyone that's looking for planter equipment and the likes, an excellent place to search is what we have here in Georgia, { Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin}. Most of the southern states have them or at least I know for a fact that Ga, Ala, and Mississippi have them. Our's here in Ga is viewable from a website:

http://.www.agr.georgia.gov

Prices in this area can run for $300. to $600. depending on the quality and completeness of the system. It's awful hard to find plates, gears, etc. but they can be found. I have several extra plates for the duplex hopper as well as gears for this. With as many talented folks that I have seen on the Forum, making plates for the POAX hopper that was discussed a few days ago, would be a breeze, especially those of you with machine shops and the know how.

Everyone should have the opportunity, at least just for once, to operate the Cub with this attachment. It is truly a joy!!!! Right now I have the plows on my Cub, but plan to put the planter back on next week. When I do, I'll get pictures and if I can figure out this posting to the forum deal, I'll put them there for everyone who hasn't seen one, to see. Might have to have your assistance, but I know that won't be a problem. Regards, Pete

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat May 19, 2007 8:29 am

Next year I'll have my planter going!!!Doing by hand is a lot of work.I did that the last two years with Tracy.This year I bought a little 2 wheeled planter and the thing work great!!kind of pricey at $60.00 but cut planting time down to a couple of hours!!!I have 1 seed plate now for my cub [small sweet corn] and hope to get beans and peas for next year.I'm luckey to have traded for my planter.[Traded a frt blade for it]Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”