This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How tight?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

How tight?

Postby Dave Irish » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:21 pm

Hello, Well it has finally got warm enough to head to the shed to spend some quality time with the cub. Last summer my gear shifting started to become rough. I was assuming it was the clutch or through out bearing. I took a look under the shifter to-day and found the forks a little loose on the guide rods, tighted them a bit and it seemed to take a bit of the CKUUU! out of my gear changes. How tight should the forks be bolted to the guides?

Thanks...DAve

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:26 pm

Dave,

I can't put torque values to it, but they should be tight enough that they don't move at all. It may not be possible to get them tight enough if they have been allowed to wiggle around for a long time.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave Irish » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:13 am

Thank you Mr. Willer. The forks tightened down real nice and it shifts a lot better, but.... not perfect. On closer inspection of the business end of the "stick" I found some wear. So I assume the action is not as true as it should be. I will have to look into it. Thanks for all your advice over the years. With out it my cub would most likely be a lawn orament.

Dave Irish

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:01 am

Dave,

The next thing to check is the ball and socket at the top of the shifter. There have been 3 different threads on the subject in the last week or so.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”