This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Value of a Cub???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Value of a Cub???

Postby Donny M » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:02 pm

Just a thought. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Johnbron and I were talking the other day about the value of a Cub. We were discussing just how much money we had put into them and what we could sell them for if we would in fact sell them. I got to thinking (very dangerous) that none of us really tinker on these rusty relics for any other reason but for the gratification and enjoyment that we get from taking something on the brink of the scrap yard and turning it into a working, reliable (most of the time) and good looking piece of equipment that only tractor lovers can fully appreciate.
We spend many lonely hours in the shop taking apart, cleaning, polishing, rebuilding and mostly cussing, sometimes under our breath and when alone, out loud. If we had unlimited funds we would all have numerous tractors of show quality if we used them in the field or not. For those of us who are married, our wives sometimes question weather or not we need to “spend that much” but our wives know us and know that this hobby makes us happy and they help us do it despite the cost. We buy tools that everyone who reads this knows we really didn’t need but it sure made things a lot easier and are nice to have to boot. We drive for miles and even get stuck in the snow for hours just to pursue our hobby. We look at every old farm as we pass, just to see if there’s a Cub in the barn or outbuilding.
We are plagued by something that has no known cure. It’s quite a feeling. Isn’t it?

Price of a rusty old Cub $700

Price of engine rebuild $500

Price of used spline shaft $ 60

Price of mag coil $ 50

Price of what ever part $$$$

The enjoyment we receive from any one of our Cubs…I don’t need to tell you that. Priceless

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:32 pm

Amen!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Amen, and amen.
Just Do It !

TimT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TimT » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:38 pm

I have to agree Donny. As a new Cubber I have fallen in love with the little tractor. My father who is 76 now rebuilt our Ford Jubilee about 2 years ago. A complete restoration of the tractor I first operated when I was about 6 years old. "I'm now 42". He did a fantastic job, and always does the whole thing, sandblasting, paint, engine and driveline work, the whole thing. Last winter he did a John Deere 40C crawler. Again a full restoration. And this spring I found a '49 Cub that a neighbor had in his back yard for at least 10 years. The tractor was rusty and faded badly, but the sheet metal is great, and the engine is like new. In fact I would very surprised if this machine has more than a few hundred hours on it. We paid $300 for it. We had some pitted exhaust valves, and put inserts in, and the motor is fine. I got the tractor bug this winter and both of us have been working everyday on the tractor. This week should be the final touches. We too it on a litttle test drive the other day for the first time. ducked taped a little gas tank on a took a ride. It runs like a watch. I have gotten great enjoyment out of this little machine. here is a pic if I can do it Image
Last edited by TimT on Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:40 pm

Donny:

DITTO!!!

Only thing is, it just sounded like a Mastercard commercial. Ooooops :oops: :oops: forgot, sometimes that's what we need for the parts :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

Amen

Postby David D. smith » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:43 pm

I think that most of us realy enjoy looking at anything mechanical. IM willing to bet that at some time you even looked close at a apple peeler to see just how it works. Thats why we are called gear, or motor heads.
Dave <*)))><

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:43 pm

Just keep reminding your wife that while you're tinkering with the cub, that your not at a bar or chasing another woman :)
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

Amen

Postby David D. smith » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:46 pm

Cubs are a lot cheaper than another woman.
Dave <*)))><

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:50 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Just keep reminding your wife that while you're tinkering with the cub, that your not at a bar or chasing another woman :)

:twisted: I think I would rather be out chasing women just for the fact of having all that extra energy. :{_}: "BUT", Alas, I really do enjoy dragging these creaking bones out of bed with the enthusiasm of getting that one little Cub part cleaned & painted that was left undone the day before. :mrgreen:

Neat post Donny, You presented our discussion very well.
Then came Bronson

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:49 pm

I concur whole heartedly!!! Tinkering with tractors is wonderful therapy! I get to play tractor quite often, but it's mostly just taking apart! :( It's really quite a thrill to take a tractor from the bone yard and hear it purr again!!!
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:08 pm

parts man wrote:I concur whole heartedly!!! Tinkering with tractors is wonderful therapy! I get to play tractor quite often, but it's mostly just taking apart! :( It's really quite a thrill to take a tractor from the bone yard and hear it purr again!!!

Partsman, You have the best textbook manuals available. I seem to always learn & retain more knowledge from the experiences of taking things apart even if I dont plan on putting them back together. :lol:
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:05 am

Rudi,

I thought I was doing good, the only thing I plagiarized was the "Priceless" thing. :P :lol: :lol:

bawest
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71667
Tractors Owned: 41 JD "H"
71 Cessna 172

Value of a cub

Postby bawest » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:44 am

I work for a tractor dealership, and the used sales dept has a 64? cub on the lot that is absolutely rusted to DEATH top to bottom, front to back, and they are asking $2000!!! Of course It will probably remain on the lot for a very long time at that price

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:44 am

Donny:

You done super good. It was a compliment mi amigo! I really enjoyed the story and I think you should write some more. Everything you have presented has been very well written and real interesting.

This one included! I wasn't even thinking of the 'P' word and it don't really qualify.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:47 pm

johnbron wrote:
Partsman, You have the best textbook manuals available. I seem to always learn & retain more knowledge from the experiences of taking things apart even if I dont plan on putting them back together. :lol:

johnbron, I must say I do feel very fortunate to be able to play with tractors and earn a living at the same time!! You are right about the "text books" too :!: It's been very enlightening the last few years, taking old tractors apart. A lot of the tractors we get are still running, and some I question how when I get into the innards! :lol: You certainly get to fnd out the weak points of different tractors parting them out. It's usually the part you get the most calls for, and the part that sent the tractor to us in the first place. :roll: :lol:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Return to “Farmall Cub”