This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

2 Observations

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

2 Observations

Postby denton » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:55 am

Took my two year old restoration out yesterday for a run to keep all the crannies oiled and the bearings lubed up. Noticed two things

1. The IH paint 2150 I used for the restoration had turned orange in the area of a gas spill and where the radiator overflow had spit. Around the top of the gas tank had turned orange. I am very dissapointed for choosing the 2150 now. I have used PPG Omni on other equipment and it held up much much better. I am pretty sure I put it on correctly, and it is pretty when new, but I would not recommend it long term.

2. During my restoration I replaced all the seals in the area of the distributor and none of the shafts had seal wear. Yesterday I drained a couple of ounces of oil out of the distributor body! Cleaned it up well and cleaned the points and rotor up. If anyone has experienced oil in the distributor I would appreciate any insight.

I do love my little Cub and think it is the neatest little tractor. I am currently restoring an 8N Ford and it too is a well designed and fun to drive tractor. I do enjoy reading this board daily.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:56 am

Not much of a painter myself, but I have seen some posts to the affect that using a hardner in the IH2150 helps prevent the discoloration from gas spills.

Also, did you replace the oring in the end of the distributor?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

seals

Postby Daniel H. » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:13 pm

There is a seal on the distributor shaft itself. It is an o-ring in a brass "donut". Did you change this o-ring? I think you have to remove the gear from the end of the shaft and pull the shaft up through the distributor top. You also have to remove the clips that hold the distributor and seperate the "top" housing from the "bottom" half. Do you have a parts book to look at? Just a guess as I almost missed it on mine.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:57 pm

I don't have any insight just wanted to say I too have experienced oil in the distributor and have cleaned it out from time to time. You know how these things go I'm puttin up with it for now.

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:01 pm

On your Paint problem it's not uncommon weather using Omnie, Dupont or any other brand, If you don't use Hardner, You have lost the battle.

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:54 am

"On your Paint problem it's not uncommon weather using Omnie, Dupont or any other brand, If you don't use Hardner, You have lost the battle."

I did use hardner, however I couldn't find anyone who could help me with the ratio and I might have gone low. On the Omni paint I always use hardner and reducer as per the instructions and it really turns out nice. I think there are even much more expensive paints out there but I would need an antacid if I paid that much. I do a lot of things twice anyway. I tell people that I have a minor in Calculus because I had to take it so many times to pass it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:55 am

Ashby:

I have been told by automotive painters that if you take your can of CaseIH 2150- Rouge Red into a quality auto paint supplier, that they can determine the "correct recipe" for that product.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:45 pm

Ashby,

When I was in school I struggled with calculus. And as an aspiring EE I needed to do well so I had a friend help me. His comment to me was "the hardest part about this is copying it over to hand in." This guy was very smart and helped me greatly but put a screw driver in his had and if he didn't kill himself he would kill the closest thing to him. :lol: :lol: :lol: Some times it's OK to do things twice. After all that's the best way to learn.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:12 pm

Denton,

Maybe this is the first time I didn't run with the crowd... :o I have a test that argues against using hardener. I have two Cubs painted within two weeks of each other. One with hardener in the 2150 and the other one without. The hardener made the job a little easier, but it added NOTHING to the finished job. The one with hardener will have to have the tank repainted, while the one without hardener is fine. Neither has had any fuel spilled on it, but the fumes escaping from the cap have attacked the primer and caused the topcoat to wrinkle.

Health considerations are another BIG reason to NOT use hardener. I'm sure the hardeners caused much of my chronic lung disease. Because of the disease, I haven't painted anything in four years. A word to the wise!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”