This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deep Snow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TimT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TimT » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:02 am

Folks, those pictures were taken on the Trans-Labrador Highway in Canada. They used an excavator and loader mounted blowers to open the road in this stretch of the highway. TimT.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:24 am

Tim thanks, that is what I thought. My father-in-law worked up in Goose Bay and used to talk about how deep the snow was and that they usually walked to the chow line in tunnels dug in the snow banks which were usually 15 to 20 feet thick.

I have seen many places in Canada and one or two in the States where there is snow this deep, but one of the few places that regualarily gets this type of snowfall is Goose Bay and Happy Valley - both in Newfoundland-Labrador!

PS: It is some cold there too btw. :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:10 am

I just got all the pictures to open, and the second two explain a lot. I sure would like to see what kind of bucket is on the 690. Hard to believe that machine is sitting on top of all that snow!!! The blower looks like a real hero, but the 690 whittles the bank down to manageable depth.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:03 pm

One winter in NY there was unusually heavy snow. One of the townships over in the hills had my dad bring his Cletrac AG-6 over to help clear things out. Two incidents he described:

He was sent out to push the snow back from a road so there would be room to continue plowing the roadway. He had the blade angled and was running along parallel to the road. He started getting a . . bump . . . bump . . . bump . . . When he looked back, he found the blade had started bumping the tops of a row of fence posts.

He was sent to clear out a bad snow drift from a spot on a back road. It was adjacent to a house. When he went up on the drift with the bulldozer, he was directly in line with the second story window of the house. I have forgotten what the height of the drift was, but I think they decided it had settled to something in the teens, about 2/3 of the original 20 something height.

This is nothong by northern standards, but is what we have in Dallas today, first snow since last February.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:24 pm

Jim, from what I've seen of Texas drivers, I'll bet the body shops are smiling from ear to ear. Them people don't know how to drive when it is slick.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:25 pm

I see the pictures have gotten a lot of interest. I'm sorry my posted pics didn't work well. Would anyone like me to email the pics to them?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:57 pm

Jim,

Just as I was reading your post a friend of mine called, he was in Wichita Falls heading to No Trees. He said there was about 4" of snow on the ground and wished I lived there now so he could get away from the fair weather drivers. Looks like I'll keep the blade on the Cub. :D :D

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:34 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I'll bet the body shops are smiling from ear to ear. Them people don't know how to drive when it is slick.

It doesn't take much here to mess things up. I didn't go anywhere, but from anything I could tell, there was heavy slush in the streets, mostly to the sides. Shouldn't have been bad, but a surprise to anyone that doesn't know what that can do to a car.

People around her get all worked up about a little snow. One of the local TV station web pages has 33 school closings listed for today. Keep in mind this is on a Saturday.

Donny,
You may have a little more use for a snow blade in Wichita Falls than I have here. But my general practice with snow is to ignore it and it will go away. It has been about 35 most of the day so half the snow is gone already. But now we have just a little more falling.

brucep
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brucep » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:08 am

I know where they were not taken and that was here in Australia temp yesterday and today around the 110F in the shade To hot to work on little cubbie today

bawest
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71667
Tractors Owned: 41 JD "H"
71 Cessna 172

Postby bawest » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:43 am

I have 5 inches in my driveway here in southwest Arkansas. Kind of rare for here, but I had a good time on my 4 wheeler!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:57 am

bawest wrote:I have 5 inches in my driveway here in southwest Arkansas. Kind of rare for here, but I had a good time on my 4 wheeler!

That's more snow than I've had all winter, and I'm 400 miles northeast of you. All we got was sleet and freezing rain. Kind of hard to blade.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:33 am

It fizzled out before it got here, kids were mad. But I worked a couple of years in the Cleveland Ohio area, so I was a happy camper. Been there, done that. Once you've worked on the wrong end of a snow shovel, that pretty white stuff ain't so pretty any more.
HR

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:28 am

hr's49cub wrote: Once you've worked on the wrong end of a snow shovel, that pretty white stuff ain't so pretty any more.
HR

That's why we have front blades on the cubs and snow blowers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:08 pm

Hey Guy's,

Sorry I'm replying to this a little late, but I have a few friends that are in Labrador City. They have taken the pictures within this area. I have quite a few more if you want to see them. Unbelievable amounts of snow.

Mike
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:25 pm

Maritimer wrote:Hey Guy's,

Sorry I'm replying to this a little late, but I have a few friends that are in Labrador City. They have taken the pictures within this area. I have quite a few more if you want to see them. Unbelievable amounts of snow.

Mike

Yeah, Post them pictures. We all like pictures on the board.
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”