This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wheel Bolts and Mowers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Wheel Bolts and Mowers

Postby Kirk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:35 am

Good Morning to All,

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. I need to replace a number of the rear wheel bolts/carriage bolts on the Cub. Some holding the center peice to the outer rim as well as several of the bolts supporting the wheel weights. Are the bolts purchased at Home Depot of a grade that's acceptable? :? I can't seem to find any with the "grade markings" on them......though I haven't tried looking at the tractor store.

2. On the "home page" of Farmall Cub.Com one of the pictures that rotate are of Syden Stricker mowing his "gorgeous" yard. :wink: What type of mower is he using. It appears to be something used on golf courses. And where could one be purchased?

Many thanks,
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:02 am

Try TM tractor parts or J.P. Tractor Salvage for your wheel bolts.

The mower you mentioned is a Mott flail mower. It is the type they use for highway mowing in some areas. It is not considered a true "finish" mower. The final cut produced will not be as clean as a finish mower, but would be somewhat better than a "brush hog" type mower. You will occasionally see them offered for sale on the classified ads of this site and ytmag.com as well as e-bay.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:50 am

Kirk, as BD said the mower is a flail, which has a center shaft with knives mounted on pivots, wheras most golf courses use reel type mowers. The flail does a fairly good job of mowing for a lawn, but does not have any lift, so if anything is laying down it doesn't get cut. The flails greatest advantage, is that it won't throw rocks or sticks as a rotary will. They are primarily a rough service mower. They do have a disadvantage that they will wrap up in tall stringy grass, such as Fescue.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:05 pm

http://www.mcmaster.com/

has an excellant selection of hardware. i ordered grade 5 carriage bolts in 2" (front) and 3" (rear) wheel weights. packs of 10 bolts. fast shipping.
they have square heads, also, but I have to look further to check grade.

I have also found Lowes to be much better in supplying misc. hardware than Home Depot around here. grade 8 hardware, 10" 1/2 13 bolts, stuff like that.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:13 pm

Gentlemen,

As before, I received much more info than expected. Many thx to you. :wink:
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:34 pm

Kirk- If you have trouble locating the square headed rim bolts I had them made by my machinst niehbor. I'm sure he would make more if needed. Otherwise McMaster Carr will be your best bet. mcmaster.com or call 330-995-5500. I've used them countless times for everything fron A-Z. If you can't find it there it will be hard to find. Best sourcing catalog out there. Do't hesitate to call if you don't find it online or in there cat. They will find it for you if you call and till them what you need.

David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

Disagree

Postby David D. smith » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:47 pm

I have to disagree with the statments that the Mott mowers don't lift the grass for cutting. I have a 6 footer 3 pt behind my 9N and a 4 footer belly mount under my Cub #2. I found the Mott does a better job of cutting the grass that the tractor tires have bent down and can't be seen after mowing. They also do a better job of spreading the clippings out. After I finish mowing with my 6 foot rotary rear discharge and 4 foot rotary side discharge I can still see the tire marks. Not with the Motts.
The Motts are a lot more maintanance intensive. Especially the roller bearings. I have been thinking of a modification to make the bearing a lot easyer and cheaper to change.
Dave <*)))><

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:03 am

You guys are the BEST!!

I now have McMasters saved in my "favorites" of which looks like a great & intereting site.

And as for the mower.....well, I'm just excited to have some experts out there that have "been there, done that" experience.
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:14 pm

Kirk,

The McMaster-Carr catalog is a great thing to have. With over 3,000 pages if you can't find something you need you don't need it. :lol: :lol: Real good folks to deal with and shipping is quick. You can get a written version of the catalog just for the asking and it will be at your door in a day or two. If you don't have the number here it is: 562.692.5911

No I don't work for them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:50 am

Thanks allot Donny.....I'm calling for my catalog today!!
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Return to “Farmall Cub”