Plow....how?

Farmall 100, 1954 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Plow....how?

Postby Max_Wedge » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:50 pm

I recently acquired a 100 and I want to get a plow for it. The 100 has a belly mower but no fast hitch or drawbar. Which is better or do I even have a choice of the two? Any help you guys can give me would be great. I also need to know about a gas tank. The one on it has a big dent and is pretty rusty inside. What tanks will interchange?
Thanks
Jeff
1955 Farmall 100 (Ol' Bessie), 1982 Honda CBX, the Six Cylinder SuperBike and a 2003 Ram HEMI
User avatar
Max_Wedge
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Springfield, Ohio

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Fast hitch it beter I think as far as the tank 100 130 140 I would think
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg
User avatar
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
 
Posts: 9803
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: VA. Randolph
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:10 pm

A 100 was a fancied up Super A. Not sure a Super A tank will fit or not though, but I think a super A plow and drabar will. They used a drawbar and plow similar to a cub.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
User avatar
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:09 pm
Location: Mo, Potosi
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Max_Wedge » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Once I have a plow, is it adlustable for depth via the Touch Control or will it be manual?
1955 Farmall 100 (Ol' Bessie), 1982 Honda CBX, the Six Cylinder SuperBike and a 2003 Ram HEMI
User avatar
Max_Wedge
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Springfield, Ohio

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:49 pm

Via Touch-Control.
User avatar
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
 
Posts: 11923
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:14 pm
Location: MN
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 am

Not to disagree with folks here, but this is my two cents. The 100/130/140 were easy to convert to standard Cat-1 3-point hitch. If I was going to set a tractor up for working, and if there is not any hitch on the tractor at all, I would have to invest in money towards a 3-point setup rather than trying to find a fast-hitch. Chances are that you will spend the same amount of money, and have a tractor that is much easier to find implements for. Anyway, that is if you are planning to work the tractor. If the tractor is to be restored for show and not really used, and you want to go back to a more PC original look, then try to find a fast hitch.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Bill
1951 Farmall Cub, Cub Cadets 102, 104, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller
User avatar
gitractorman
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:35 am
Location: Grand Island, NY
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:20 am

Max, a Super A tank has a little different bracket setup. So, that won't work.

On the fasthitch vs. three point issue, if you want to plow, I would go with the fast hitch. The retrofit three point hitches have no depth control other than up and down. You will find it just about impossible to plow at the proper depth....you will either be just barely scratching the ground, or "digging to China" and stalling out. Even gauge wheels on the plow will not fully overcome this problem in my experience. Now if you are going to be pulling a mower, blade, even a disk harrow, or any other non-digging implement, the three point will work good.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 3435
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Location: NC, Jacksonville area
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:58 am

Super A wrote:Max, a Super A tank has a little different bracket setup. So, that won't work.

On the fasthitch vs. three point issue, if you want to plow, I would go with the fast hitch. The retrofit three point hitches have no depth control other than up and down. You will find it just about impossible to plow at the proper depth....you will either be just barely scratching the ground, or "digging to China" and stalling out. Even gauge wheels on the plow will not fully overcome this problem in my experience. Now if you are going to be pulling a mower, blade, even a disk harrow, or any other non-digging implement, the three point will work good.

Al


I'm usually an old agreeing codger, but I have to put in a little something here. I beg to differ on the retrofit 3 point hitch not having depth control. Since the hydraulics has up and down pressure, just put the locking lug on the lifting rod where you want it, tighten the locking bolt, and it has one of the best depth controls there is. I do like the fast hitch better, but 3 point hitch implements are easier to find and the depth control is superb. I'm in the process of building three, 3 point hitches now for the Super A's.
User avatar
Merlin
CubPro Emeritus
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:06 am
Location: Ponchatoula, La.
eBay ID: merlin582

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:16 am

Merlin wrote:
Super A wrote:Max, a Super A tank has a little different bracket setup. So, that won't work.

On the fasthitch vs. three point issue, if you want to plow, I would go with the fast hitch. The retrofit three point hitches have no depth control other than up and down. You will find it just about impossible to plow at the proper depth....you will either be just barely scratching the ground, or "digging to China" and stalling out. Even gauge wheels on the plow will not fully overcome this problem in my experience. Now if you are going to be pulling a mower, blade, even a disk harrow, or any other non-digging implement, the three point will work good.

Al


I'm usually an old agreeing codger, but I have to put in a little something here. I beg to differ on the retrofit 3 point hitch not having depth control. Since the hydraulics has up and down pressure, just put the locking lug on the lifting rod where you want it, tighten the locking bolt, and it has one of the best depth controls there is. I do like the fast hitch better, but 3 point hitch implements are easier to find and the depth control is superb. I'm in the process of building three, 3 point hitches now for the Super A's.


Yes, allowing the hitch to "float" as you describe would help if your soils are all nice and uniform, but in our soils would still be less than ideal. It would want to go "out of sight" in some places or just be barely scratching the ground in others. The result is usually a field that looks like it has been shelled by artillery.... The fast hitch (and original drawbar mount plow like the A 193 and Cub 193) allows you to vary the hitch point up and down more precisely to achieve some degree of depth control and respond "better" to changes in soil conditions. YOu lose all that with all the retrofit three point hitch systems I have seen--all you have to work with is the weight of the implement (gravity) and the condition of the soil. It would be the same concept as taking a tractor with three point hitch AND draft control, and "locking out" the draft control. I did this on a big JD once with a chisel plow--I got hooked up, went to the field, and forgot to set the draft--it was set on "position control" which meant it raised/lowered wherever you put the lever and didn't respond to varying load. I took off with the chisel plow in the ground, it hit a tough spot, didn't respond to the load, and next thing I knew the nose of the tractor was in the air! :shock:
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 3435
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Location: NC, Jacksonville area
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:01 am

Merlin wrote:
I'm usually an old agreeing codger, but I have to put in a little something here. I beg to differ on the retrofit 3 point hitch not having depth control. Since the hydraulics has up and down pressure, just put the locking lug on the lifting rod where you want it, tighten the locking bolt, and it has one of the best depth controls there is. I do like the fast hitch better, but 3 point hitch implements are easier to find and the depth control is superb. I'm in the process of building three, 3 point hitches now for the Super A's.


Merlin,

We're in complete agreement on this issue. One caviat to add would be that wheel slip tends to lower the tractor thus lowering the implement and increasing the load. This can be a chain reaction. If the operator doesn't respond by properly lifting the implement it can be a problem. :( That's the primary advantage of draft control. Naturally, a 3pt with down pressure in the hands of an experienced operator will work well without draft control.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce
User avatar
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
 
Posts: 7011
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: OHIO, Fremont
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:28 am

Reguardless of the type you end up with, remember the tractor will be worth much more with a fast hitch. For ease of operation it is better also.
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg
User avatar
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
 
Posts: 9803
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: VA. Randolph
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:19 pm

Only problem with a Fast Hitch is finding one. Cubs are rare. Finding a complete one for a Super A/100/130/140... That's going to be a toughie.

With the 3pt, you would at least be able to go to the "3pt hitch store" and buy one "off the shelf."
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:04 pm
Location: Rochester, NY
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Only problem with a Fast Hitch is finding one. Cubs are rare. Finding a complete one for a Super A/100/130/140... That's going to be a toughie.

With the 3pt, you would at least be able to go to the "3pt hitch store" and buy one "off the shelf."


I expect JP Tractor Salvage could have one delivered by the end of the week.......It's a regional thing to be sure though. Fast Hitch 100's--140's are fairly common in thes parts, so the implements aren't that hard to find. If one was in a different location the three point conversion might have more merit.

Another shortcoming of a retrofit three point hitch is you don't have the standard drawbar anymore--you'd have to use a three-point hitch "swinging drawbar." Ugh.

As David mentioned, if I were buying, I would prefer something that was original. I saw a Super AV for sale yesterday, and its' biggest shortcoming was it had a cobbled up three point hitch setup on the back and no sign of the original rear cultivator gangs or drawbar. Of course, resale value doesn't mean a thing if you don't plan to ever sell! To each his own, but it seems to me like three point hitch conversions sometimes drift into the same category as 12 volt alternator conversions: Some people are just determined to convert over to them, whether they need it or not! :wink:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 3435
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Location: NC, Jacksonville area
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Super A wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:Only problem with a Fast Hitch is finding one. Cubs are rare. Finding a complete one for a Super A/100/130/140... That's going to be a toughie.

With the 3pt, you would at least be able to go to the "3pt hitch store" and buy one "off the shelf."


I expect JP Tractor Salvage could have one delivered by the end of the week.......It's a regional thing to be sure though. Fast Hitch 100's--140's are fairly common in thes parts, so the implements aren't that hard to find. If one was in a different location the three point conversion might have more merit.

Another shortcoming of a retrofit three point hitch is you don't have the standard drawbar anymore--you'd have to use a three-point hitch "swinging drawbar." Ugh.

As David mentioned, if I were buying, I would prefer something that was original. I saw a Super AV for sale yesterday, and its' biggest shortcoming was it had a cobbled up three point hitch setup on the back and no sign of the original rear cultivator gangs or drawbar. Of course, resale value doesn't mean a thing if you don't plan to ever sell! To each his own, but it seems to me like three point hitch conversions sometimes drift into the same category as 12 volt alternator conversions: Some people are just determined to convert over to them, whether they need it or not! :wink:

Al


Yep, a quick hitch is a lot easier on the old bones and joints. I think it is a regional thing too. I've seen one quick hitch on a Super A in my lifetime. I've never seen a drawbar on a Super A even though I've acquired them it parts and sold them on the net. Drawbars didn't come on Super A's here, but the toolbar did. Like you said, you can't use a U shaped drawbar with the 3 point without modification. When people started installing 3 point hitches, they would go to the dealer and buy the straight 3 point hitch drawbar for 20+ dollars and it wouldn't take 10 seconds to put them on the tractor ready to pull whatever behind the tractor. It took me less than an hour to build a straight 3 point drawbar from angle iron I had laying around. I haven't used it but about a half dozen times in the last 30+ years though. I think it is all just preference and do whatever is learned down thru the years.
User avatar
Merlin
CubPro Emeritus
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:06 am
Location: Ponchatoula, La.
eBay ID: merlin582


Return to Farmall 100 Series, 100, 130, 140

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests