This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1959 Lo-Boy Raditor Question????????????????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIG JOHN
10+ Years
10+ Years

1959 Lo-Boy Raditor Question????????????????

Postby BIG JOHN » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:49 pm

I am not here very often so I probably have missed post about this in the past so please bare with me. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have a 1959 Lo-Boy that pushes water out the overflow tube until it is down below the upper hose intake. Upon inspection I see that the overflow tube extends into the filler neck about 3/8". I am wondering if this is normal or has it been done during a repair. Because the tube extends into the filler neck it only allows just a cap with no guts. According to my books IHC was using pressurized systems by 1959 on their other tractors. Is this tractor suppose to have a pressurized raditor or a non-pressurized raditor? :?: :?: :?:

What type of a raditor cap is suppose to be on this tractor :?: :?: :?:

I am ready to paint this tractor in the spring and would like to get this right before then.

THANKS
Living the good life and happy to be on this side of the grass.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:24 pm

John,

Cubs tend to seek their own level as far as cooling systems go. Mine stay at 1-2 inches below the filler neck. To determine if you have a real problem, does the level continue to fall or does it stop at that point? My 62 LoBoy has that intruding overflow, but not the 48 and 52 Cubs. I prefer to run without pressure in these old radiators.

Lurker Carl

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:16 am

I don't know when pressure caps were installed at the factory. My '59 Lo-Boy has a flat non-pressure cap. Since it is the original style, I am guessing it has always been there.

Be aware that not all filler necks are the same. I don't think it is an aftermarket only problem, as there were several non-interchangeable pressure caps. If the pressure cap isn't matched to the length of the filler neck, it might not fit or may not hold pressure.

Sometimes a small coolant leak can be "cured" by changing to a non-pressure cap.

Return to “Farmall Cub”