This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Guy

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
jimbaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77984
eBay ID: Waco1928
Tractors Owned: 2 Farmall Cubs
SN 42113 (1948)
SN 93258 (1949)
Kubota LA5740 (cab)
Ford 3000

New Guy

Postby jimbaker » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:39 am

Hi everybody,
I am new to the forum and wanted to say thank you for all the good stuff here.
When I was 9, my dad bought our cub (SN93258) as part of a package deal with 10 acres and a bunch of other sort of junky equipment. Dad wanted the land, (it joined our farm), but not the other stuff. The seller, not wanting to go through an auction, wouldn't budge, so my dad turns to me and says "you wouldn't want that tractor, would you? I blurted out YES. That was 1969, and the cub (and unfortunately the negotiating style), have been mine since. I left the farm to go in the service and never really made it back. Dad died in '91, and Mom told me last week she was going to sell the farm. I drove all weekend to get there with my 5 year old son, and when he saw the cub, I asked him if he wanted the old tractor, and he shouted YES. I guess what comes around goes around.
The cub runs good, considering years of sitting in the barn. The rear tires are cracked pretty good, and the electrical system that I grafted on to it years back probably needs work. It has the magneto. I'm in the changing fluids/filters and driving it for a little bit to see what it's going to need mode. For now, It'll be pulling hay ride wagons, but eventually my wife plans on putting in a truck farm, so eventually it'll go back to work. I will be looking and making implements in the months to follow. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture, and will when I can.
Anyway, thanks for the forum. & please try to forgive my dumb questions

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 am

Welcome to the forum, Jim. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 am

Welcome to the party, Jim!

I, as well as many others here, know that exact feeling you got when you first saw that Cub. These tractors shoudl be considered "gateway drugs" to the realm of farm machinery. I'm glad to hear you'll get to share the experience with your son. Some of my best memories with my father are working around the farm, and especially with tractors. I'm sure you will add to your hero status immensely with the Cub project. Your son is very lucky to have such a great role model.

I am more than happy to help with anything I can, and there are some incredibly knowledgible individuals on here that make up the utmost resource that is farmallcub.com.
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:55 am

Jim, Welcome to the Forum :!:

What branch were you in? Oh, and where are you located?
Mike Duncan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:56 am

Jim:

First, Image to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

What goes around and comes around in the way it has for you is the best thing that can happen to a son and a father. I can guarantee you that the time you spend with your son working on this Cub, well it is time that cannot be bought or paid for and is totally priceless. But then you already know that.

Interesting story about your Cub. I enjoyed reading it.. and I can imagine all the untold things that have occured. Oh, Bravo Zulu on serving your country, I am also a Veteran (Cdn of course), whose postings very seldom allowed for motorized vehicles unless they came equipped with ski's and tracks.. :roll: :wink: :D :lol: :lol: I shall be looking forward as well to the interesting implements that you may build. In the links below you will find links to other implements and accessories that many of us have built. I would be pleased to include your implements that you modify/fabricate in that gallery of info.

How to Post pics etc., well the links below will also address that. I know sometimes the Welcome Wagon may be a bit on the long side, but I know of no other way to pass along the salient points of the knowledge base that is available on this site. There are reasons why http://www.farmallcub.com is the best Cub site and the best family site on the internet, and the informational resources are just the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

Welcome, Welcome.. enjoy the read and the play time with your son :!:
Ok, so here is the spiel Image:

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ Prior to Posting. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's 1 and ATIS FAQ's 2, The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub. One of the other projects we have been working on and it will be a continuing effort is the How To Work on Your Cub - Maintenance Tips and Techniques. This the the place to go to get all the quick links to some very good articles written by many members of the forum on solving some of the problems we encounter as we repair, maintain and up-grade our Cubs. Keep looking for this to grow.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub. In addition to this basic information, there are also a number of other useful tools available on the server. There is the Specialty Services page which has contact info for neat stuff like getting your seats recovered, buying quality Decals, Serial Number tags and a host of other neat items. Also there are the Parts Pages - both Used Parts Suppliers and New Parts Suppliers pages with links to quality dealers. I am always looking for YOUR favourite dealers for New and Used Parts to include here. These pages are intended to complement our Official FarmallCub.com Website Sponsors:

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the three most important manuals you can own for Maintenance, Repair and Rebuilding your Cub. These are the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the Cub Manual Server, it is better if you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only Authorized IH Publication Reprint House and they have the best quality manuals available. Most other's are not of the same quality. Just a personal thought here, the I&T Shop Manuals, although helpful in some areas, really are not sufficient for the job. If you wish though, they are good additional reference works.

IF you really want to get the skinny on all things Cub, might I suggest you get a copy of Ken Updike's Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet's :?: . While you are at it Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet is Ken's latest addition to the series. Along with Guy Fay's Letter Series Originality Guide, these are three must have's in anyone's collection.

In addition to the above information, don't forget to check out the various articles that are available to help with your Repair, Restore, Rebuild or just your Maintenance Projects. There are a number of sub pages such as Electrolysis or Rust Zapper's, Maintenance Tips, Jigs and Techniques, Implement and Part Sketches and of course the Paint, Decals & Other Finish Questions which has the Paint Chart and the Paint Committee Decisions links.

Oh, and while the program still lasts.. you might want to check the Announcement: Navistar Free Gas Cap Offer - On-Line Form thread at the top of the Cub Forum and send away for the new style safety cap before that program runs out as well.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, Image to the Cub FamilyImage :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

jimbaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77984
eBay ID: Waco1928
Tractors Owned: 2 Farmall Cubs
SN 42113 (1948)
SN 93258 (1949)
Kubota LA5740 (cab)
Ford 3000

Postby jimbaker » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:03 am

I was in the Navy, a machinest then, more of a tinkerer now. We are in Texas, outside of Houston, but looking to move over to Hallettsville TX as soon as the house sells. My wife and I want to start farming again, as much for the kids as us. It was a good way to grow up, and as I watch kids now, I sure see a lot of them that need the responsibilities that come from growing up on a farm.

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:10 am

We are in Texas, outside of Houston

Well, looks like Donny M will have a new mini-cubfest member now.

I'm sure Donny will be along soon to welcome you to not only the Forum, but his neighborhood.

At this rate, the membership in Texas may start to edge out the Buckeye group!
Mike Duncan

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:12 am

Welcome to the Best Darned Forum on the WWW, Jim! The guys here are absolutely stupendous for help and for just plain "jawing" with each other.

It is nice to see that you kept that tractor in the family. Your kids are going to have a ball with it. I know that I did when I was a kid and that is why I am getting my very own cub this weekend. (that along with some friendly nudges from my friends on this forum!)

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum Jim from another Jim. :) :) :)

Jim from Windsor
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:04 am

welcome jim :D
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:03 am

Welcome to the Forum Jim, and don't worry about the dumb questions. If they threw those of us who ask dumb questions out, it would be a very tiny group :oops: :lol: :!: . Glad to have you. Pete

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:20 am

Welcome aboard Jim!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”