This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bread and butter pickles

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Bread and butter pickles

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Back again. This is my wife's recipe for bread and butter pickles done the easy way.

4 quarts thin sliced medum pickleing type cucumbers
6 nice sized onions
2 bell peppers
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup coarse salt
5 cups of sugar
3 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

My wife uses a large stainless steel mixing bowel to mix the first ingredients. Slice cucumbers really thin. I like thin pickles so this is why we do it this way. Your call. Add onions, peppers, whole cloves, and salt. Mix well and cover with cracked ice. Let stand 3 hours, and drain well.

Remove what ice you can and pour the cucmbers, onions, peppers, etc. into a large enamel stock pot. Combine sugar, vinegar, turmeric, celery seed, and mustard seed, and pour over cucumber mixture. Bring mixture to a boil and seal in pint jars. Makes about 8 pints.

I failed to mention in the hot sauce recipe and in this one, when you seal up in jars, do it just like you were canning anything else.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Bread and buter pickles

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:44 pm

My wife said that when the cubumber mixture came to a boil, cut the fire out and can. You do not have to cook the mixture.

Billy

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Billy, now that sounds really good. If we can make any cucumbers, we will certainly give it a try. Have made bread and butter before, but always looking for something a little different!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”