This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hot sauce

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Hot sauce

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:00 pm

This is my wife's recipe for hot sauce. She is making a batch now, and I decided to share.

16 cups ripe peeled tomatos
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped bell peppers
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons garlic salt
add cyanne and/or jalapeno peppers to taste. We use both cause we get them out of the garden

On the tomatos, get water to boiling and drop in the tamatos for a moment. Take them out and put them in cold water. This will make them easy to peel. Cube them up. I don't like large chunks of tomato, so that is why she cubes them. Can just quarter them. Your call.

Put all ingredients in large enamel stock pot. Don't use aluminum. The acid in the tomatos will react to it. Cook, stiring all the while, until the mixture thickens. Taste occasionally to see if you need to add more peppers. The amount of peppers is your call. All peppers are not the same in heat value. We like ours kind of warm, so she starts out with about 20 or so cyanne and 3 or 4 jalapenos. There again, depending on pepper size, you will get a different heat range.

This recipe will make 8 or 9 pints, depending how much you cook it down. Seal up in jars.

This goes good on peas and butter beans, or just dipped with Tostito chips.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:51 pm

Billy, now that sounds like my kind of hot relish and I think your wife fixes stuff just the way I like to eat.

I make a relish that is real simple to make and my kids and grand kids absolutely love it and it is kinda WARM. All it is, is equal parts of jalepeno pepper, vidalia onions, and sugar brought to a boil like your wife does, then cook down until the desired thickness and put into warm jars and add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 cup cider vinegar to each pint, seal jars and your ready to go. Try mixing 8 ounces of cream cheese and the relish together and use chips or whatever for a delicious treat.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hot sauce

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Pete, your hot sauce sounds good. My wife said she may have to try it.

Billy

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:59 pm

Now that sounds good Billy, I'll give it a try as I love hot sauces.
Thanks

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Billy, I forgot to mention putting the sauce that I make on Captain's Wafers, this is the kids favorite way of eating it.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hot sauce

Postby Billy Fussell » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:36 am

Pete, I haven't found a way to eat hot sauce that isn't good. I put it on greens when I don't have pepper sauce. Used on food, eaten with crackers or chips, let your imagination run wild!!

Billy

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:15 am

That's the way I am as well. Sometime when the kids and G-kids are here, they like to nibble on something before the meal is ready and they really dig in to the jalapeno and onion relish. Must be chips of the old block because all of them will eat hot jalapenos like they're going out of style. Tried to explain to one of the 7 yr. olds that the pepper was hot. His reply, I know but I want it anyway. So, I told him to pick out the one he wanted and have at it. I noticed the sweat on his forehead and said, It's hot isn't it! His reply, yes but I'm gonna eat it anyway and did, the entire pod. Pete

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hot sauce

Postby Billy Fussell » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:19 am

Good story. Life doesn't get any better than that.

Billy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”