This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gravely Rust Bucket

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joe Shaffer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gravely Rust Bucket

Postby Joe Shaffer » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:39 pm

BACKGROUND: I picked up a Model L Gravely walking tractor with the little 30" brush hog style mower in front. The seller mentioned it had been sitting outside and had not run for 7 years that he knew of. Thought it might be fun taking it apart and attempting to getting it running. Soooo, he got $20 and I got the bucket of rust. I can hand turn the motor through 3 of the 4 strokes. I canot turn it thru the exhaust stroke so I assume the exhaust valve is frozen. To get at the exhaust valve with Kroil I need to remove the manifold which is held on with two bolts (less problem than removing the head). I have been soaking the bolts for 3 days with Kroil, they won't budge, I don't want to twist them off (3/8") and the only heat I have access to is a propane torch. QUESTION: Any tips for removing exhaust manifold bolts which are probably heat welded as well as rusted in place??? Thanks Guys. Joe.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:43 pm

If you have room you can try a nut splitter on them. I have 2 of them (1-large & 1-small) that split good on soft nuts. Or you also could carefully grind 1 side down and finish with a chisel. If its a Gravely its well worth fixin. :)

"OOPS", I goofed. I just reread your post and I see you are working on removing bolts not nuts. :mrgreen:
Then came Bronson

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:32 pm

Joe. It may also be worth it to take the head off, (Just to clean everything up). Gravely head gaskets are still readily available. You can get a good look at the piston top and the two valve seats. I love the way those one lungers are put together. Very simple. Then replace the head bolts when re-assembling.
Ron

Joe Shaffer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Shaffer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:45 pm

Ron - Yeah, you are probably right. What I was trying to do in advance of that step was strap spin the motor to see if the Bendix magneto was any good. But, I can't spin the motor till the exhaust valve is freed up and I can't soak the valve properly till the exhaust manifold is removed and the two frozen manifold bolts are preventing removal of the manifold. Sooo, without knowing anything else to do I am continuing to soak the bolts with Kroil.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:18 pm

Be careful with where the exhaust manifold bolts on. The cast metal is very brittle (experience!)
Ron

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:17 pm

You got a deal!!!
Except I am going to use the new Cub to do what I used to do with the Gravely LI.....
They are awesome machines, but give you a bit of a work out.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”