This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sandblasting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sandblasting

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:40 pm

Hi All
I wish you could sandblast safely without spending 3 or 4 times the price of the sandblaster on the air supplied hood and punp and all that stuff, and not damage your lungs. Most monument places around here want 50 t0 75 an hour to sandblast tractor parts. THANK for listening. Paul K. in N.H. :(

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

sandblastig

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:45 pm

Posted twice for some reason. sorry

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:46 pm

I fixed it Paul.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:33 pm

Paul:

I just built a siphon feed sandblaster for less than $20.00 Cdn :!: :D
Works like a charm :!: :D I bought a sandblasting hood, vented type and it works real well. Keeps the sand out of your face and if you wear a disposable mask, keeps 99% of the dust out of your lungs. The hood cost $17.00, the mask $0.49. The only thing else I had to buy was the gun itself and that was an extra $19.00. The cheapest readi made siphon feed sandblaster I could find was $89.00 and you still had to buy the gun....

I am working on the drawings for it, already have the pics, hopefully it may be ready and uploaded to the server in the next few days. We are supposed to get a Nor'-easter late Thursday or early Friday, and if so, I guess I will be stuck in the house for a day which will give me the time I need to finish off the plans.

Just be aware, that sandblasting is messy and the dust gets everywhere and should be done outside. Hopefully you have an area that can be swept up easily..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:00 pm

THANKS BD for fixing that, your fast. Rudi I am not sure on the vented hood and what it is, I know what the regular hoods look like they come down over your shoulders and have the window to lookout and see what your blasting. As far as the area goes to sweep up outdoors, I was going to build a little sandbox and reuse the sand a few times then put it in a barrel and dispose of it properly somewhere.where is the hood vented? THANKS Paul K in N.H.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:34 pm

It is vented in the back. Passive not active venting.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Sandblasting

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:28 pm

I sandblast in the yard. I place the part on a piece of plywood. If you plan to sandblast over several days, you won't notice the extra sand on the lawn. I don't think it is practical to try and capture the sand, unless you blast in an enclosure. Also, one thing I really like are the carbide nozzles. The ceramic nozzles wear out way too fast. I think the good ones are either silicon or tungsten carbide. They cost a little more but last way longer.....Bill V.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:49 pm

I guess I'm a little paranoid about sand blasting (comes form living and working in a lead mining area), but when it comes to a mask, I wouldn't trust the little disposeables. Remeber that if you are using silicone sand the dust IS carcenogenic. I have done a little sand blasting over time, and decided it was worth the money to go to a Mine Safety supply place, and bought a good mask with replaceable cartridges, and wouldn't sand blast with anything less.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:28 am

John is right about the silica sand, it is dangerous to breathe the dust. Something that works a lot better is the black abrasive, usually called black beauty. It dosen't break down like sand and no dust.
Michael

Steve
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:37 am

The other problem u will have is when u go to cut the grass ur going to kick up the silica dust and not even realize it

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:02 pm

Hi All

Thanks for all your thoughts, I looked at some of those cartidge type resperators and they even had a sticker that said not for sand blasting. I guess I could look somemore, and just build the box, not to reuse the sand but try to contain it better. So I just need to find a resperator that can be used for sandblasting and wear the hood over that. Any more input, I am all ears, as safety and enviroment first. I took a few small pieces to a man yesterday and he only charged me 12 dollars, but he missed some spots and stuff. He used Dupont starburst said it is finer than the black beauty alot of folks use. He did it outside on a piece of plywood, but the stuff was everywhere, he used a regular hood only. THANKS Paul K. in N.H.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:20 pm

I've been using ground glass. it is recycled from bottles,jars, etc. It is virtually dust free, and doesn't break up like the sand, and I think it cuts a little quicker too.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:33 pm

Parts man

I have herd people say they had parts glass beaded, is this the same or just plain old ground glass. Its safe to use? Where do you get it at the auto parts store? THANK YOU Paul K in N.H.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:40 pm

Paul, as I understand it blass bead is actual round glass beads, the stuff I got is just finely ground glass, like sand. I got it at a local parts supply store, it came from Quebec, so it may not be availlable every where :?: but I like it, and it doesn't have the nasty safety warnings like silica sand, so I figured that a 3M 2 strap dust mask would be OK for it, although the ines with the replacable cartridges would definetely be better!! I found it to be much less dusty that the sand.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:42 pm

Paul, as I understand it blass bead is actual round glass beads, the stuff I got is just finely ground glass, like sand. I got it at a local parts supply store, it came from Quebec, so it may not be availlable every where :?: but I like it, and it doesn't have the nasty safety warnings like silica sand, so I figured that a 3M 2 strap dust mask would be OK for it, although the ines with the replacable cartridges would definetely be better!! I found it to be much less dusty that the sand.

I also do my sand blasting into an old bath tub, that way I can catch and re-use some of the abrasive, around 1/3 to 1/2 stays in the tub, the rest gets blown out on the ground.

Return to “Farmall Cub”