This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Instant text messaging

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Instant text messaging

Postby Redman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:26 pm

:?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Instant text messaging

Postby Dennis » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:29 pm

Redman wrote:I was wondering if it would be possible to set the forum up for instant text messaging windows. What I mean, is when a person is logged on to the forum, another individual who is logged on as well could click on their name and send them an instant text message while perusing throughout the forum. Much like the live private chat windows that can be created in FlashChat. In doing this, it would also be advantageous to have an "enable" and "disable" feature in case you did not wish to be bombarded with instant messages. Another feature to this that would be beneficial would be a block list so not to receive messages from someone with bad text messaging breath. :shock: :D

What do you think and is it possible?

Redman, I'm going to assume by "instant messaging" your referring to PM's, correct? If so, it would take two clicks to PM someone listed in the "online" list. Click on their "login ID" in the list which will bring up their profile, then click on the "PM" button and type your message.

As for blocking/ignoring members (hope we don't have to many members that would fall into this category), that will be addressed in FarmallCub.Com version 2 :) A forum upgrade, hopefully soon, will add many new features.

In the next couple of months, I will post links to two different forum upgrades and let the members vote on which one they prefer. Watch for this in the announcements forum.

Thanks,
Dennis

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:01 pm

Dennis, I was with Rick, well, talking with Rick when he came up with the idea. PM is nice, but he and I too would like to see if possible, a "real time", 'live", text -messaging chat. PM is nice, but sometimes someone may not get it immideiately or check their box. a private live chat window like in the flash chat would be great for instances like the other nite when we tried to call a member who was online. He uses dial up, therefore, we couldnt get in touch (but we did later). Does this clarify it? And is it a possible upgrade ??? :P
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:34 pm

What's wrong with Flash Chat? Both log onto Flash Chat, open a private message window...real time, private, easy. I do it all the time. What more could you ask for? :?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:45 pm

spiveyman wrote:Dennis, I was with Rick, well, talking with Rick when he came up with the idea. PM is nice, but he and I too would like to see if possible, a "real time", 'live", text -messaging chat. PM is nice, but sometimes someone may not get it immideiately or check their box. a private live chat window like in the flash chat would be great for instances like the other nite when we tried to call a member who was online. He uses dial up, therefore, we couldnt get in touch (but we did later). Does this clarify it? And is it a possible upgrade ??? :P

Hmm... I've reviewed the features of both the upgraded systems I'm looking at and neither of them have that feature. It would need to be a modification. I'll do some checking to see if there is anything available.

Until then, if they use an IM and have it listed in their profile (and they have it loaded) that could be used. I know, a lot of if's in that statement ;)

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 pm

Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:52 pm

Rick:

You mean an active button that would link to Skype, MSN or Yahoo chat which would sort of light up when they are On-Line and be faded out or something when off-line?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:59 pm

:?: :?: :?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:07 pm

Rick,

If you are both logged in to the forum, send a PM. When I'm logged in and get a PM, I get a pop-up alert. Then you could either continue the conversation on PM or agree to log on to Flash Chat and do the private message window there. I know it may be a little cumbersome, but it already exists. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:12 pm

As Don said, get an AIM account from AOL. It's free. In Andrew's profile I notice that he has an AIM account. So, if you have an AIM account as well, and had Andrew listed as one of your "Buddies" in your AIM list, you'd know when he was online. MSN Messenger works the same way, and I think Yahoo has a similar system?
Mike Duncan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:16 pm

The AIM accounts etc are OK but what Rick is looking for is a way to IM within the forum itself. Just like if I see you're online and want to send you a message you will get a pop-up window like you do in the chat. The PM function is similar but is dependent on you refreshing a window to be activated.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:17 pm

Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Redman wrote:
I as well as some others I know don't always look at the PM's as soon as they get them. I am not talking about a pop-up that tells some where to go :shock: , all that may be another suggestion, I am talking about a pop-up that IS the message. A little instant chat window.

Rick:

I wasn't thinking that.. but now that you have clarified it.. a nice little pop-up like when we are on Skype.. and you send a chat msg.. poof up pops the little box, lets you know someone needs to chat with you and you can click it and open up the chat window..

I gots ya now... makes sense.. It WOULD be a great addition to the New Forum Software if it can be done..

Well, it already has been.. just needs to get incorporated into the new versions I guess....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:49 pm

Hooray for BD and Rudi!!!!! Yall are right on track! 8) I think it would be great if ever possible
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Don't forget that the Flash chat can be used at anytime.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”