This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

carb or kit needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Big O
10+ Years
10+ Years

carb or kit needed

Postby Big O » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:01 pm

Howdy from Texas again. I have my recently acquired an IH Cub and implements( '49 I think, year still undetermined),
I have a carb. leaking and need a replacement,rebuilt or kit to repair. There is an "old vehicle" show in May and I was asked to enter my tractor. Well , the carb leaks and shuts down. I need to do something, besides the leak it will run a few minutes and quit. I would like to find a replacement and return 'core'. I have had more trouble identifying the year of my cub that I am about to give up. I would think the carb. is the same for several year models. I can send close up photos of any part to help identify year model, send email address.
Thanks for any and all help.
I purchased a '49 Cub , I need lots of info. and manuals. Owen orjb@texasisp.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:19 pm

Big O, there is a "read this" post at the top of the list that will give you some good pointers, but to save you some time here is a link that will help identify the year of your cub http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q3

Your trouble sounds like you have dirt in your carb and probably in your fuel lines, possibly rust in the gas tank blocking the fuel inlet. Carbs are fairly expensive (about $200) for new, but are fairly easy to rebuild on your own. There were basically 2 carbs used, an IH on earlier models, and a Zenith on later ones. The IH is only available used, but the Zenith will work in place of it with some linkage changes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:27 pm

I might add that if you go with the Zenith you will need to replace the pipe to the air cleaner with a hose. This hose is available from Case/IH, it is larger on one end to accept the larger Zenith carb air inlet.

I just bought a kit from Ken Updike at Carter and Gruenewald (1-866-FARMALL) for the IH carburator and is was around $45.00 and includes everything needed to rebuild including instructions, the only other thing you need is gallon of carb cleaner to soak it in.

Finally, there is a company that rebuilds them, http://www.farmersservice.com/, but I have never delt with them and I don't know anything other than what is own their website. Good Luck, whichever route you take.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:44 pm

Hi Big O,

Welcome to the BEST CUB Board on this side of Mars, [ just my thoughts].
I did not catch exactly where your carb is leaking. If it is at the division line
between the top and bottom it could be; best case- the gasket has broken, dried out, or is just old and saturated; worst case-the top or
bottom half/halves are warped. Depending upon how badly it is warpped
will determine if it can be salvaged and how to repair/rebuild.

Let us take it a step at a time. I would personally, rebuild especially if
you ckeck the carb and know it is "NOT" warpped. You can take it apart
and lay it on a flat surface and shine a light under and see if you see
light in any given spot, if yes then it is warpped.

The $45.00 for the real McCoy IH kit from C & G or your local Case IH dealer is well worth it. If you rebuild you will get at least $100.00 worth of, "I did it all myself".

Like someone else has suggested browse this board for info on carbs,
especially the Chauvin section. Then if you decide to re-build members on
here will help you step-by-step.

Let us know what you decide. We will be looking for your updates and
here is wishing you the best.

Return to “Farmall Cub”