This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Now why don't this thing STOP!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Now why don't this thing STOP!!!

Postby Donny M » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:57 am

Got the finals off today!!! (Sorry John) :lol: :lol:

Looks to me that if you could clean up the brake bands they have a lot of liner left. They are so saturated it would be near impossible to clean them.

The Right Side:

The Left Side:

I wonder how anyone stopped this Cub :?: :?: :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:41 am

Boy those do look a bit messy with oil.

My brakes are bad but but I never took it apart that far to check them. I will have to fix them but I am gonna wait till the rest of it is done.
Then came Bronson

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Oil-soaked Brake Bands

Postby Dan England » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:58 am

Donny: I have used a torch to burn off the oil from brake bands. The brakes seem to be functioning properly so far. It is worth a try. Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:09 am

Donny, when I got my 48 about 15 years ago, the brakes were so bad that the po had one section of the cultivator mounted with just a single shoe mounted, and turned backwards. That was his way of stopping it. If you aren't in to big a rush, try soaking them for a few days in parts solvent, let them dry, and try some brake cleaner on them. If you need to replace the anchor pins, be sure to check the length of the new ones against the old ones. The set I got a few years ago were about a 1/4 inch longer than the original, and it took me a while to figure out why the drive didn't want to bolt up all the way. Luckily I figured out what was wrong befor I tightened it enough to do any damage. I assume they sent me ones for the later model drives but rather than driving the 100 mile round trip, I just ground them off a little.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:23 am

Donny

those brakes would never wear out :!: John's method works quite well. i've done just that to 2 cubs now.

Primer Pete has a mismatched set of finals, one with a large brake opening and one small. i don't recall any difference in the brake pins, but i'm now suspecting that i simply got lucky.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:25 am

It appears from the bottom picture that your anchor chain is too short!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

CaptPaulret
10+ Years
10+ Years

Brake linings

Postby CaptPaulret » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:39 am

Donny
About 5 years ago I replaced the axle seals on my MF 50 and found the brake linings oil soaked, but with a lot of usable lining left. I used my propane torch to heat the linings just enough to burn out the oil. It worked as I'm still using these linings. I haven't got to the brakes on my cub yet, but will shortly.
Capt. Paul Ret.
Oswego, NY

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:29 am

Donny,

I hope you will report on the quantity of lube in the gear case? I suspect it was over-filled?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:33 pm

Mr. GW,
When I got this tractor home last December I took the shifter plate off just to look. It was over full alright, with water. I drained the water and filled it with 90 wt. I purposely over filled it. The 90 wt. drained rather quickly. The fresh 90 wt just renewed what was already there...gave it a shiny patina and made a mess on the floor.

Mr. Bigdog,
You're right the anchor chain was too short causing the anchor to pull off the bottom and set the Cub adrift. It ran aground and had to be dismantled to be salvaged. :lol: :lol:

All,
I will try to clean the brake bands but since I already have a new set waiting to be used, I won't try too hard.
I had a less severe case with my 55. I cleaned the bands with brake cleaner and Xylol. One of them cleaned up well the other did'nt.
The torch method sounds like it may work. :idea: :idea: Maybe if I could get Merry to take a vacation I could use her oven. She would have to be gone a long time to allow the smoke to clear. :lol: :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:00 pm

artc wrote:Donny

John's method works quite well. i've done just that to 2 cubs now.

The cultivator brakes, or the cleaning solvent? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:05 am

The brake bands are toast. After further inspection I didn't find much lining left.

Got the transmission and the finals disassembled. 1 dry final and 1 with about a pint.

All the bearings and seals in the tranny and the finals need replacing. A trip to Napa will take care of that tomorrow. All the shafts and gears are in good shape. :D :D

The VP of TSA must need transfusions on a weekly basis. I'm loosing a lot of blood on this one. :cry: :cry:

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:54 am

Donny M wrote:
The VP of TSA must need transfusions on a weekly basis. I'm loosing a lot of blood on this one. :cry: :cry:

:lol: Donny, pretty much any tracor I work on has red on it somewhere, regardless of paint color! :roll: They're a lot of fun, but a great rig for "busting knucles"! Haven't had the need for a transfusion as yet ( crossed fingers), I guess I'm a good healer, and have also been lucky enough to get away with superficial "flesh wounds". :lol:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:48 am

Just look at all those pieces of skin, and drops of blood left behind as DNA proof that it is yours. :lol:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:17 pm

The only wound I sustained other than knuckles is a pretty good gash on my elbow. Yep my elbow, fun place eh? While trying to remove the seat post I first used a 12 point 7/8 box end. ( Didn't think the bolts would be too bad) the wrench sliped off with much pressure and my left elbow hit :( :( the 5/16 bolt sticking out of the torque tube where the steering post was. I should have put those bolts with the rest of the hardware :!: The only other wounds I have are the normal scraped knuckles.

I'm going to name this tractor after a famous vampire. If I can find one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:15 pm

Donny M wrote: The only other wounds I have are the normal scraped knuckles.

The serious wounds are made to the bank account. :cry:

Return to “Farmall Cub”