This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

For you Cub welders

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daniel Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

For you Cub welders

Postby Daniel Stuckey » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:37 am

Have been taking a welding class at our local VO Tech school and of course I now think I'm the WELDER OF THE YEAR! Ha! But I'm picking up a older ac/dc/300 amp welder from my teach. I'll be putting in a 50 amp breaker and want to know what size wire I should use for this job. Appreciate your help.

Dan Stuckey
Altoona, Pa.
Enjoy life, do what you can, and quit your complaining. This will make life better!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:09 am

Dan,

If you use copper, use #6. If you use aluminum, increase it to #4.

Also, if you use aluminum, make sure you have al/cu connectors and be sure to use an anti-oxidant.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BOB K. » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:25 am

#6 copper wire is good up to 60 Amps. Go with copper, stay away from aluminum.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:49 pm

I agree, stay with the copper!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:31 am

I too am a novice welder. You are talking about a mig welder, correct?
I was given a small Lincoln welder, great price! What type of rods should I use for all around welding (6011)? I will not try cast iron. I'll take the cracked block to a professional when I get it torn down.

Thanks guys,
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Daniel Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Daniel Stuckey » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 am

Ken,

Actually I was refering to a arc welder. I am buying a mig, but only a 135 amp Lincoln and it runs off of 110 volt. I do have 220 but want to be able to take it away from my shop.

As for the arc, looked at acouple of used welders, but their only ac or real old so I guess I'm plunging for Lincoln ac/dc 225. Hope to get a price break by purchasing them together. A from my little experience, the 6011 is a good rod to have on hand.

Dan Stuckey
Altoona, PA
Enjoy life, do what you can, and quit your complaining. This will make life better!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:05 pm

Ken, I haven't looked at the new ones, but the older Lincoln ac/dc 225 welders only gave a maximum of 115 amps when used on dc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BillyJoeJimBob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BillyJoeJimBob » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:11 pm

6011 rod will give you a deeper penatration but it takes a steady hand to get it to flow properly. I would suggest buying 7018 rod ( a good grade, it is well worth spending the extra $) probably 3/32 to 1/8. 7018 is alot easier to work with, penatrates well, and gives you a really nice finish, especially if you are running a weave or stringers.If you were to run 6011 and then 7018, I believe you would see what I mean.

Bill

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:02 am

I agree with the guys and all that has been said. When I wired in the circuit for the arc welder (220 V), it was all done with copper. Even though our Provincial Hydro Utility uses aluminum for mains and drops, my electrician and most of the pro's I know insist on copper for all circuits. Aluminum and copper mixes is just too dangerous. Stay with copper.

I have been learning to weld with 6011's as that is what my father-in-law always uses. I have had some pretty good luck with these rods and my welding is getting much, much better. I too have been told to experiment with the 7018's, as it is a little easier, but so far have not ventured there.

I find the 6011's do a really good all-around weld and once you get used to starting the rod, it is actually pretty easy to keep up a good puddle. The main difficulty I have had so far is when trying to build up slightly larger areas - gotta go slow but not too slow and I have not mastered that yet! Practice will make perfect....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”