This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear main seal replacement

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
buster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rear main seal replacement

Postby buster » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:03 pm

My rear seal on the engine has started pouring oil and I'm looking for a little advice on replacement. My I &T manual was stolen last year so I'm working on memory untill I get a new one. I have the tools to do the job, my question is about the parts. I seem to remember something about a old and new style seal and a retainer plate. Are they interchangable or must I tear it down to see what I have? Also is there an aftermarket supplier for these items or are they dealer only? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:33 pm

The earlier seals were a few tousands larger o.d. than the later ones. Unfortunately the only ones available are the later ones. There was just enough difference that if you replaced an older one with the new one, it would spin in the retainer with a little use, and leak. Unfortunatley the newer one is all that is now available. When replacing the older one you can either buy a new retainer for aobut $100 or you can use some loctite, or jbweld, or a similiar sealer to hold it. The seal part number is 364692R91. Most auto parts stores can cross it to the brands they handle.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:13 pm

Buster:

I would recommend and I think pretty well most of the board members would agree, that you should visit Binder Books and order these three manuals:

Owner's Manual
TC-37F Parts Manual
GSS-1411 Service Manual

They are basic must haves. Until you have your own to peruse at your leisure, these manuals are already online at the Cub Manuals
The I&T Manual has some good info in it as well, but the GSS-1411 is far more detailed. Also, the I&T Manual is on the site as well.

Sure hope this will help you a bit..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

rear engine seal

Postby Joey » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:44 pm

Hello everyone. I've only just registered for this board and while scrolling through the topics, noticed someone asking about the new rear engine seals. I was told that one had to buy the new retainer plate to hold the new version of the seal. The new retainer plate at my IH daler was $128 and the seal was $16. I bought a slightly larger OD metal seal and had the machine shop bore the retainer plate to accomodate the seal. Total cost $36 and everything fit good. Just thought I would pass that along. This is a great site for practical information!

Return to “Farmall Cub”