This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

generator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

generator

Postby Chris Jones » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:28 pm

With all the power outages this winter I'm thinking about options for a generator. One to run the TV and a light is nice but I'd want to run in shifts the refrigerator, submersible well pump, water heater, and I need some form of heat. I think a 2ton heatpump would be out of question but how about some kind of electric space heater -- running a keroscene heater all night feels risky to me. My question is how big a generator can a cub handle? I'd belt drive it off the pto shaft. Humm -- I don't think I'd want to run the cub all night either. Well, given that I can go several years before needing it and nobody has time to keep a seldom used generator running right I fear a dedicated generator would be expensive and not start when needed. With the cub I know it'd run. But then belt driven generators say how many HP they require but I expect they are in small engine terms not the realistic pto HP of 7 or 8 for a cub. Well what do you all think.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:52 pm

This is what I just bought from Lowes for $599.00
http://generac-portables.com/generators/generator.cfm?id=185&use=&price=&wattage=&order=11
It runs everything I need in my house.

OlManRivah
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby OlManRivah » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:24 am

I bought a 7000 watt electric start generator, wired it up thru a xfer switch, loaded it with gas. My power hasn't even flickered. Guess it's like washing the car, makes it rain. The generator stops power problems.

By the way, if you use the Cub to power the generator, and it normally snows when power goes out........How you gonna play in the snow? :P
Country Boys Can Survive!

Mark IL.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark IL. » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:09 pm

Chris, find a used Miller welder with a onan motor.
they are pricey But...you can kill two birds and they will do what you are asking...if you cant find a miller get an old 20hp hobart...both of these items are hard to part with..but worth the quest.

FarmallCubNJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmallCubNJ » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:59 pm

I would strongly recommend against using your Cub to power a generator for anything other than short term use. I have a couple of thousand Watt unit that I run off a V belt from the PTO for use when I am out back and need some juice to run a drill or saw. One problem is the Cub governor is not going to give you the response you need to keep the voltage constant which can kill electrical equipment. Also you have the wear and tear on the Cub running it flat out for hours at a time. You are much better off buying one of the units described in the earlier E mails that are designed to provide emergency power for long periods of time.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:54 am

Hey Jim...I like your Generac generator ! I have one of their power washers and it does a GREAT job !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall Cub”