This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Proper oil for 1952 Super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Proper oil for 1952 Super A

Postby KBP » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:49 pm

I just restored my Farmall Super A and need some advice. I have read that any oil of the correct weight for the temperature can be used in this tractor. This includes detergent oil of many grades. Several people told me that it wouldn't hurt to run detergent oil in this tractor. A dealer that sells parts and is a sponsor for this forum told me to only run 30 weight non-detergent oil. I went to WalMart to buy 30 weight non- detergent oil and it says on the bottle "not to run this non-detergent oil in any engines newer than 1930" because it has no additives added and it will damage the engine" Who do I believe?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Since your engine has been rebuilt, a detergent oil is ok. either single grade, or multigrade.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:08 pm

Ken:

I just learned that all Small Engine Oil, such as MTD, Ariens, JD.. Briggs&Stratton, Tecumseh all use Non-detergent low ash 30 weight oil.. whodah thunk it :?: :?: :roll: :lol:

As far as damaging the engine.. nah.. not gonna happen. BTW.. I like the restored Super A -- looks real sharp beong restored around that awesome Battery Box :!: :idea: :roll: :wink: 8) :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Proper oil for 1952 Farmall Super A

Postby KBP » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:58 am

Hi John *.?-!.* cub owner! The engine has had new rings put into it. It has not been completely rebuilt. Will detergent oil be bad? Why did the guy from JP tractor Salvage say only use non detergent 30 wt oil? Why did the bottle of non detergent 30 wt oil say not to use it in engines made after 1930? See the reason for my confusion? Any oil experts out in Farmall Cub land that can clear this up? Thanks Ken

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Proper Oil for a 1952 Farmall Super A

Postby KBP » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi Rudi! Thanks for the battery box! I just want to say in the public forum that Rudi is a great guy! The was a big help to me. If I could figure out how to post the pictures of restored tractor, and Rudi's battery box, I would post them. Rudi helped me out when I couldn't find a battery box. The one I got from Rudi is BETTER than the orginal one. Heavier, better built and reasonably priced. THANKS Rudi!!!!!! Ken

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Proper oil for 1952 Farmall Super A

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 pm

Rudi wrote:Ken:

I just learned that all Small Engine Oil, such as MTD, Ariens, JD.. Briggs&Stratton, Tecumseh all use Non-detergent low ash 30 weight oil.. whodah thunk it :?:

Who told you that? Have any documentation to go with that claim?
This seems to be in conflict with your information:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/oil_lub.cfm

KBP wrote:Any oil experts out in Farmall Cub land that can clear this up? Thanks Ken

I don't consider myself an expert on oil, but I know a fair amount. I mostly have quit commenting on lubrication threads because whatever I say is lost among all the misinformation and hype for various snake oils.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Use the HD worst case you may have to take the pan off and clean the pickup But I dont think you will

and Rudi i think maybe you have been misinformed
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Farmall560
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Proper oil for 1952 Farmall Super A

Postby Farmall560 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Rudi wrote:Ken:

I just learned that all Small Engine Oil, such as MTD, Ariens, JD.. Briggs&Stratton, Tecumseh all use Non-detergent low ash 30 weight oil.. whodah thunk it :?:

Who told you that? Have any documentation to go with that claim?
This seems to be in conflict with your information:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/oil_lub.cfm

KBP wrote:Any oil experts out in Farmall Cub land that can clear this up? Thanks Ken

I don't consider myself an expert on oil, but I know a fair amount. I mostly have quit commenting on lubrication threads because whatever I say is lost among all the misinformation and hype for various snake oils.

AMEN! Man do I know what you mean & agree! Jim, try debating oils on one of the performance car boards(Moparts.com comes to mind). Good lord, you'll want to hang yourself before long.

Brian

KBP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Proper Oil for 1952 Farmall Super A

Postby KBP » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks for everyones comments. I think I asked the wrong question. The question I think I really wanted to ask is "What oil are you using in your 1950's era Farmall? Maybe this will help me out with my confusion. Please tell me what weight and type of oil you are using. Thanks ! Ken

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 pm

NAPA 30wt ND.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:13 pm

I use 20W50. It's a generic brand from the local autoparts store. I also use detergent 30W from the dollar stores. The engine was a NOS block assembled about 2 years ago.

My vote with a partial rebuild. Use the same oil you use in your automobiles.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”