This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IrfanView info needed, BD, LittleD, Rudi?

How do I.... ?
pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

IrfanView info needed, BD, LittleD, Rudi?

Postby pete1941 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:45 pm

I just downloaded and installed Irfanview after hearing you guys talk about it. Been tinkering most of the afternoon trying to get it all figured out, with a little luck.

The question: From this point on, when I transfer pictures from the camera, will they go directly to Irfanview? I've been sending existing pictures to IV, resizing them, and creating a new file for them in IV. Is this the correct way to do that?

Many thanks in advance, Pete

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:21 pm

Pete:

Whoaaaa! No, that is the wrong way to go about it. Ask me.. been the done that lost more pics than I care to remember.. :cry: :cry: :cry: The way I do it is not the only way, just the way that I learned how to do it safely over the years. I move a lotta datta around, expecially from computer to computer when rebuilding, so having an organized filing cabinet is absolutely essential.

Here is what I do, and what I teach all who come to me for computer upgrades and instruction to do. Remember, you computer is your filing cabinet, library and film archive. So you ALWAYS save copies of the ORIGINAL FILE.. Always.

When you download you pictures from your camera.. first thing I do is create a directory within my pictore files for that date.. ie:

C:\Data\Pictures\Original Files\August 31, 2007 or something like that. the files are then downloaded into that folder from your camera. These are Read Only. -- you can do that in your properties box.. make that folder Read Only.

Then you copy them to another folder..

C:\Data\Pictures\August 31 2007.

Here is where you will work with them. Whether it will be with IrfanView or XP's Image Resizer.... never in the originals folder :!: When you batch convert or rename etc., then the output file will have to be a new subfolder of the folder you are working in, otherwise your original pics that you worked with will be overwritten... NO.. DON'T ASK !!! :roll: :shock: :(

Does that help?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:56 pm

Rudi, one of these days I will hopefully be 1/20th as good as you are on this stuff, maybe :!: . When I transfer pics from the camera now, they go to My Documents. What I was doing today, first I added IV to the SEND TO function when I right clicked on the pic in MY Documents. when it opened in IV, I resized it and made a new file for it in IrfanView. That left my original file in My Documents. Maybe I just got lucky, huh?

I will study your post and try to do it as you do. As you can tell, I have never had any training, period, simply self taught. Thanks to you guys, and am learning a little each time I log on. Thank you so much!

Oh and BTW, I was sitting down here :mrgreen: green with envy when you were talking about being out on the daughter's financee's family boat catching and eating lobster with a cool one. It oughta be against the law :P 8) :D . Pete

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:11 pm

Pete:

Here is a neat tool. I still use it as Microsoft has never seen fit to include this particular utility within a production Operating System. It is simply a tool that allows Microsoft employees to do stuff quickly and easily, but is not available to the general public unless you know where to find it.

This is called the Send To extension. [url=http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Software/Microsoft/Win95%20Powertoys/sendtox.inf[/url].inf file[/url] and the .dll file.

Download both - ie right click save target as to your C:\Data\Original Program Files\Microsoft\Win95 Powertoys\ Once downloaded, go to Windows Explorer, to the Powertoys Directory and right click on the .inf. Click Install.

Then you can send any file anywhere in your computer or networked computers that are shared.. and either just copy it or actually move it.... moving is not something that Windows allows in ANY release...

This will help a lot in organizing your computer. I use it a lot.

Oh and the Lobster was excellent. Will have to ask Cecil ifn he likes it and wants some tomorrow for supper :!: 8) :lol: :!: Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:44 pm

RUB, RUB,RUB, RUDI, you lucky dog 8) 8) :D :D . Pete

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:08 pm

Rudi, when I right click on your links, either one, I get a pop-up window that says internet explorer cannot download this url from clean computes.com. Any suggestions? Pete

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:14 pm

Pete:

Check your email, I just sent em..

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”