This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Down under cuisine - Wild Cat Stew

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Down under cuisine - Wild Cat Stew

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:11 am

Australians cook up wild cat stew By Phil Mercer BBC News, Sydney

Wild cats eat marsupials, lizards and birds Australians have come up with a novel solution to the millions of feral cats roaming the outback - eat them. The felines are the descendants of domestic pets and kill millions of small native animals each year. They eat almost anything that moves, including small marsupials, lizards, birds and spiders. Feral cats are one of the most serious threats to Australia's native fauna.

A recent Alice Springs contest featured wild cat casserole. The meat is said to taste like a cross between rabbit and, perhaps inevitably, chicken.

The woman behind the controversial cat stew recipe has said Australians could do their bit to help the environment by tucking into more feral pests, including pigeons and camels.

But it was a recipe for feline casserole that impressed some of the judges at an outback food competition in Alice Springs. Preparing this unusual stew seems simple enough.

The meat should be diced and fried until it is brown. Then lemon grass is to be added along with salt and pepper and three cups of quandong, which is a sweet desert fruit.

It is recommended that the dish be left to simmer for five hours before being garnished with bush plums and mistletoe berries.

Marinated moggie was not to everyone's taste. One of the competition judges found the meat impossibly tough and had to politely excuse herself and spit it out in a backroom.

Wild cats are considered good eating by some Aborigines, who roast the animals on an open fire.

This outback cuisine does come with a health warning. Scientists have said that those eating wild cats could be exposed to harmful bacteria and toxins.

In Germany one winter day. Hunters were in an adjacent field. At the end of the hunt we asked what they had shot. They replied 2 rabbits and 11 cats. Now I'm wondering about that wild schnitzel I ate at the local restaurant.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Let's hope the dessert wasn't Road Apple Pie!
Last edited by Barnyard on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Let's hope the desert wasn't Road Apple Pie!

Hahaha :lol: 8)
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:27 pm

You can always get your wife the popular Asian cookbook:
"How to Wok Your Dog". I've eaten a lot of strange things in my life, but I might have to draw the line at feral cats.

Bob

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:56 am

:?:

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”