This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

To those who think a Cub Buzz Saw is dangerous looking

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wow

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:08 pm

jmalinow wrote:A lot of the ones in my area ended up in the scrap pile. I saw some in use when I was a kid 3 guys could cut a whole lot of wood up quick. But I guess the danger outweighed the production. I always wanted one though

The availability of reasonably light weight chain saws put the end to most of these saws. It is easier to bring a chain saw to the wood than to carry all the uncut wood to a stationary buzz saw.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:07 pm

I'm getting ready to buy a house with a wood burner.A cub blade or H would be just the ticket.Been using chain saws and un-safe stuff for years.!!!!!!!USE YOUR HEAD WHEN OPERATING THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!Thats all I'm gonna say.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:30 pm

Is there a rocking or sliding table that goes with the blade? All the ones I've seen/used for cutting fire wood had some sort of table to hold the wood, then feed it into the saw.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:35 pm

My great-grandfather lost his eye sharpening fence posts. A piece came back from the saw and got him in the eye. He pulled and it all came out! OUCH!! They worked great and you always kept your thoughts on the job at hand and nothing else.
As long as we are telling stories and talking about fence posts. My grandfather told me of the story of a man who lost his hand the painful way. They had the fence post on a trailer. One man stood on the trailer and handed down the post to anther man, who held the post. The man on the trailer would swing the maul and drive the post in. Well the man on the ground didn't move his hand from the top of post soon enough and with one quick swing it was a bloody mess. That rates at least to be a double OUCH!!!
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:40 pm

trentm71 wrote: Is that the H Cub-Bud and Co. restored?
yes it is :P

There is no tilting table for it, that is a home made rig, and while it looks crude works quite well, as long as you always keep your mind on what you are doing.

Dad always stressed wearing safety glasses when when sharpening posts with it. they were different than the ones of today, just a pair of glasses with a thick lens. They were scratched, etc. and I didn't like them, but wore them. One day a splinter was flung off the saw which hit the right lens end on and broke into a bout 3 pieces against it. Sure didn't need any reminders after that. I still remember the sight of that big splinter heading for my eye.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Truly the world is becoming more safety conscious and just to survive in the past required taking more risks than many of us are accustomed to today but that thing is just plain evil looking. The only thing missing from that picture is Nell and Dudley Do Right!

Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:11 am

The "Ring" of a woodsaw on a cool morning brings back many pleasant memories. Yes, a chainsaw is easier to use by yourself, but a three man crew can block a heck of a lot of wood with a cut-off saw.
I still love to use one.
Best,
Mike

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:21 am

Festus wrote:Truly the world is becoming more safety conscious and just to survive in the past required taking more risks than many of us are accustomed to today but that thing is just plain evil looking. The only thing missing from that picture is Nell and Dudley Do Right!

Festus

In the past we all were more responsible for our own safety and had to keep our brains in gear. Times are changing for sure. When we do something stupid it is usually someone else's fault. :( Can you say McDonald's coffee?

That saw can cut a lot of wood safely when run by someone who is accustomed to paying attention. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:02 pm

Virginia Mike wrote:a three man crew can block a heck of a lot of wood with a cut-off saw.
Amen to that. We had a lot of wood form a local sawmill that they had intended to use for an experimental pallet mill, but had abandoned the project. 4 foot long pieces varying from 8 to 12 inches in diameter. In stacks at 3 different farms. A crew of 4 cut about 8 chords of wood with that one day, including moving to the different farms. Dad fed the saw, 2 others brought sticks to him and supported the end if needed and I threw away from the saw. I was a lot younger and stronger then and, about 30 years ago.

If anyone wants a closer look at that setup, I plan to bring it to Cubarama, but I do NOT plan on a working demonstration with it. due to health problems I am not stable enough to work around it, and am not willing for anyone else to take the risk.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:03 am

It's good to hear we speak the same langauge. It was a proud day for me when I was big enough to "Throw Away" from the saw. I couldn't keep up long, but it was a step toward manhood.
We hauled slabs from an abandoned sawmill and blocked them with a saw belted to dad's JD "A". My uncle, dad, and grandad worked the saw and "Threw Away" into the wood shed.
I loved to hear the long belt slap when the governor opened on the A with a dull blade in a heavy stack of slabs.
Best,
Mike

Gil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:49 am

As scary as they look I'm still interested in picking one up one of these days. Looks like it would work nicely on the land in Vt - 20 acres that is mostly forested. If anyone knows of one for sale let me know. The one I'm thinking of has a stand setup behind the tractor.
I might be able to trade something for one, just brought home another trailer load of goddies last night. I'll post some pics when I get them sorted out.
Gil....

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:20 am

George,
Had I been more safety conscious in the past I might not have this piece of painted, polished glass sitting where my left eye used to be, nor this chainsaw scar on my right shin, nor the surgery scars on my left elbow and right shoulder nor the .....

I wish I could blame these things on someone else, but I must take responsibility - I took risks and I got caught. Now I spend as much on safety equipment as I do on tools - well I spend more on safety equipment than I used to! Now, I think I'll head to McDonald's for a cup of coffee - good thing I've got the emergency room on speed dial!

Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

RD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RD » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Man that thing looks as awesome as it is dangerous! i want one for my cub! in the future i hope to get a 350 or 450 maybe get one of those beasts hooked on to it
-Robert

one 49' Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Virginia Mike wrote:The "Ring" of a woodsaw on a cool morning brings back many pleasant memories. Yes, a chainsaw is easier to use by yourself, but a three man crew can block a heck of a lot of wood with a cut-off saw.
I still love to use one.
Best,
Mike

Mike:

Those sentiments are true. The hum of a well oiled saw table and the ching of freshly filed teeth biting into some maple or birch is really sweat. And never mind what a 3 man team can do.. you should see me and my 4 girls go..... you can cut a lot of wood in a very short time.. 2 days 12 long cords.. and most of it moved to the house as well :!:

I bought a new chain saw, but that is for cutting the logs into 4 foot ... I only use my saw table to cut the wood for the furnace..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:10 pm

I finally got a picture of my buzz saw into the foto host. Now to figure how to get it here.

http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage. ... m=15&pos=0

Bill:
Right click on the image contained in the url above, then copy the whole url/address: http://photos.cubfest.com/albums/userpi ... M0313a.JPG
and then wrap the img tags around it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”