This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan Housing in the way ....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan Housing in the way ....

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:15 pm

Well, guys, I am in the process of replacing my radiator on my 1949 cub and am following the instructions in the IH Service Manual. After completing steps 1-6 (on page 59), including a lengthy battle to remove the rusted screws holding the fan housing (which I barely won), step #7 instruct me to "move the fan housing out of the way and remove the cap screws securing the radiator to the steering gear housing." Well, I moved the fan housing back as far as I could but, for the life of me, I can't see any reasonable way to remove the cap screws on the engine side of the radiator without taking the fan housing completely off the tractor. :?

I have attached a picture of the fan housing on my cub which shows the problem I am facing. I am inclined to carefully split the fan housing at the tack weld on top and then, when I reinstall it, simply drill a couple of small holes on the top of the housing and bolt it back together.

But, before I do anything, I thought I would ask whether any of you have an suggestions on what I can do to remedy this situation. Thanks. :D

Tom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:05 pm

Tom,

Remove the belts. Loosen the fan shaft from the bracket. Now with the shroud moved to the rear, the fan blades can be raised enough between the shroud and radiator to disengage the shaft from the bracket. Then the shroud and fan can be removed together. Now the coast should be clear to work on the radiator.

Please don't cut your shroud.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:20 pm

Thanks, George. Appreciate your help. :D

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

re fan housing in the way

Postby Bruce Sanford » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:39 pm

With all due respect for people who know more tham I do. I was lucky enough to have many extensions 3/8 drive to go over the top of the rad to the inside between the motor and rad. After putting three rads on the same tractor in a short period of time. I was looking for the easiest way :D

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:05 pm

Bruce,

You're right, that's a good alternative way to do it. Thank you. I've done it that way as well. I do find it a bit harder to install the replacement that way due to the difficulty starting the bolts. I wouldn't have made a good gynecologist with my big hands.

Either way it can be done without cutting the shroud. I have had to weld several back together.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Worked like a charm, George!

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:48 pm

George,

Well, I followed your suggestion and it worked like a charm! :D

Here is a photo of the cub with the shroud and fan assembly removed. Now I can get in there and remove the radiator bolts and clean this cub up a bit! Thanks again.

Tom

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:31 pm

When trying to start bolts in a place where you can't get your fingers, hold a piece of paper over the socket, and push the bolt down into it. The paper will hold the bolt in the socket while you start the bolt.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:29 pm

Mr. GW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You may not have made a very good OB/GYN with those large hands but you may have been very busy :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:04 pm

It's a little known fact that George W. used to be a gynecologist. However, he got tired of the job, and enrolled in a votech school where he learned to work on cubs. The final test was to completely dismantle and reassemble a cub engine. When George got his grade, the instructor had given him 150% on the test. When George inquired why, the instructor said," I gave you 50 points for disassembling the engine, 50 points for reassembling it, and 50 points for doing it all through the muffler!" :lol:

Never trust a proctoligist that can palm a basketball! :D
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”