This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub power unit on the 52R Combine: double-check me!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub power unit on the 52R Combine: double-check me!!

Postby Super A » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:58 pm

OK, gonna go another round with the 52R combine engine tomorrow. Gonna fill cylinders full of oil and turn it some to make sure compression is good. Gonna double-check timing. Now making sure I have procedure right:

1. Hold thumb over #1 sparkplug hole. This is the one closest to radiator!

2. Crank engine clockwise until pressure is felt, mark on crank pulley should align with timing mark at TDC and both valves should be closed.

3. At TDC mag impulse coupling should click. If not, loosen mag bolts and "twist" until it does.

4. Rotor should be pointed at #1 plug terminal. If not, adjust as needed.

5. Plug in wires, #1, then 3,4, and 2.

6. Engine >>SHOULD<< run!!!

If all that doesn't work, only other thing I know to do is check exhaust pipe for obstruction, pretty sure it's not. If that don't work, time to call in a "professional!" :oops:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:57 pm

If you fill the cylinders full of oil I don't believe you will be very successful in turning the engine crankshaft much-- if any--! :shock: At least one of the cylinders will be hydro-locked. :( Liguids will not compress well. I would recommend no more then a couple teaspoons of oil per cylinder if you plan to try turning the crank shortly. NOTE---- Just had a thought; perhaps if the valves are stuck or held open that would allow the excess oil in the cylinder a place to escape. :wink:
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:17 am

Dan Robertson wrote:If you fill the cylinders full of oil I don't believe you will be very successful in turning the engine crankshaft much-- if any--! :shock: At least one of the cylinders will be hydro-locked. :( Liguids will not compress well. I would recommend no more then a couple teaspoons of oil per cylinder if you plan to try turning the crank shortly. NOTE---- Just had a thought; perhaps if the valves are stuck or held open that would allow the excess oil in the cylinder a place to escape. :wink:

I mean to crank engine with plugs out, so as to lube cylinder walls/build compression due to setting up so long. Bad choice of words, I mean simply to put some oil in each cylinder! :wink:
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”