This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gear oil leaking

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gear oil leaking

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:05 pm

Hi All

I have gear oil leaking down onto right rear wheel. It has been leaking a little at a time. I could see that it was leaking above the final drive pan, but today I got a good look and it is dripping from a hole about 1/4 dia. about 2 inchs above where, I think a planter is hooked up. Is this coming from an inner seal and flowing through the axle housing. Most likely more of a job than I can handle at the present time , but may try soon. THANK YOU !! Paul K. in N.H. :oops:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:05 pm

If you are referring to one of the bolt holes that are used for atttachmnets, a bolt has been run in too deep, and broken through into the housing. You can put a bolt in it with thread tape to stop it. If it is leaking out the brake drain hole in the housing, the transmission is leaking.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:23 pm

Hi John
It is dripping down from a horizontal hole just past the end of the axle houseing. It seems like a clearance hole. It above where you hook up the planter I think it is. Not down the inside of a casting but from a hole overhead. THANK YOU !! Paul.K in N.H. :oops:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:28 pm

Paul,

Sounds to me like it's coming out of the brake rod slot. That would mean a transmission seal.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:30 pm

Oh yea,

Have you checked to see if the transmission is over full :?: :?: :?:

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:54 pm

HI Donny
No I have not checked to see if the transnission is over filled, but I saw pictures of your work all done and primed and dream about being able to do all the seals and bearings and all that like that. Paul K in N.H.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:06 pm

Paul,
There's a small pipe plug on the left side of the transmission. That is the fill level check. If you pull that plug and gear lube runs out, the transmission is over full. If you drain the transmission and replace the gear lube. The proper amount to refill is 3 1/2 pints.

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:10 pm

Donny
THANK YOU I will check the level. Paul K. in N.H.

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:29 pm

Hi All
I looked at the transmision plugs today as Donny told me about. I can see the fill plug on top, and see the small one he talked about way down low on the left and said wow, if thats the full level then where is the drain as I didn't see one on the bottom , and that looks like the bottom. Not questioning his knowledge at all, I just couldn't find the drain plug. Donny will have to set me straight. THANK YOU !! Paul K.in N.H. :oops:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:38 pm

Paul,
The drain is under the transmission just in front of the axles. It points toward the front of the tractor not downward. :D

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:03 pm

THANKS YOU Donny, I new you would set me straight!!

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:21 pm

Hi All
I did as Donny said and took out the pipe plug on lower left side of gearbox, and it's a good thing I put a old plastic dish pan under there because I would say at least TWO QUARTS came out. How could it be so overfilled? How does the oil leak past seals ? It looked thick like gear oil, so I don't think it had water mixed in. THANK YOU !! Paul K. in N.H.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:53 pm

Paul: When I drain the transmission of my tractors the oil often has a distinct yellowish color. I believe that this indicates that there is water in the housing. This probably comes from condensation during cold weather. I have just changed out the axle and differential seals on one cub and this has stopped the leaks. It is not a difficult job but you need a hoist or a person to help as the final drives are quite heavy. I have no mechanical skills/training but got good results. Dan

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:47 pm

Hi Dan
Thanks for the reply. I thought there were seals in at the gearbox and the axle ran dry untill it got out to the final drives and more oil and seals out there, but I dont know to much about it. I can tell you this tractor has been stored at 50 degrees and I don't think it was water , it was black and thick and smelled just like gear oil. THANK YOU !! Paul K in N.H. :oops:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:54 pm

Paul, you are right aobut the axles running dry. There are seals at each side of the transmission. If they are getting worn the transmission being over full will cause them to leak worse. I would suggest you drain the transmission and refill it ( 3 1/2 pints) and see how it does. Note, it may take a little time for the oil that has accumulated in the axle to drain out. Use 80-90 weight gear oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”