This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering worm wheel shaft question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering worm wheel shaft question.

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:35 pm

This question is regarding the steering worm wheel shaft and it's upper and lower bushing. Continuing with the 49 rebuild, I measured the shaft and the bushings. The bushings are .005 to .006 larger than the shaft. Is this too much wear? Mr. Updike says he can get the lower bushing but not the upper one. Will this give extra slop to the steering? If these need to be replaced, where would one look for an upper one. Thanks guys.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:21 pm

Hi Jeff,

I would try case IH the part number is 350 887 R1 BUSHING, STEERING WORM WHEEL SHAFT UPPER.

Hope this helps.

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:33 am

If a bushing isn't available, let me know. I might be able to make them.
Michael

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:52 am

I bought the upper bushing from my Case-New Holland dealer about two weeks ago. I'm not certain about the wear tolerance; Rudi has the Blue Ribbon Service Manual on-line (this site) and it lists all of the tolerances. The old one was a pain to remove. The bushing is split on one side, so you would think it would be easy to collapse, but it was still tough.

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:44 am

I'm not sure what the tolerence should be for that, but I'm sure .005 or .006 won't hurt anything.
Michael

Return to “Farmall Cub”