This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Use what you got!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Use what you got!

Postby Donny M » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:22 pm

I was a little concerned about putting the pulley back on. If it went back on as hard as it came off I was dreading it. So at 8:30 pm I decided to give it a try. Put the pulley in the oven (Merry said ok) and heated it up to 220 degrees. Went out to the shop to find a piece of flat steel that would work. Couldn't find any so used what I had:

After taking the pulley out of the oven it took about 2 minutes to press it back on. TG, big worry for nothing. THANK YOU REESE :D :D :D :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:37 am

:?: OK!!, I`ll bite. What is that "Reese" thing you are using that you added "Thanks" too :?: .
Then came Bronson

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:47 am

Reese makes trailer hitches and receivers for automobiles/trucks. Looks like Donny used a Reese ball hitch to push the crank pulley back on the crank. :idea: The threaded rod goes through the hole in the hitch where the hitch pin would normally go. GREAT thinking, Donny :!:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:58 am

Bud, Now with your help i recognize the Reese name on trailer tongue parts. That one Donny is using sure looks short to be a stinger for a receiver hitch if in fact that is what it is. Looks like a nut on bottom for ball attachment in picture though. Although unimportant I thought I would clutter up this post with trivial questions. "Ho-Hum"!!! :mrgreen:
Then came Bronson

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:07 am

Yep, does look a little short. :? Donny will post soon and let us know exactly what it is he used. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:30 pm

Bud & JB,

You're both right :D It's an adjustable height receiver hitch. Maybe this will clear things up.

Sorry for the confusion :wink: :wink: :wink:

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:13 pm

Donny,

How did things look when you hooked up that osilloscope to your cub :lol:

Did you replace the front oil seal, and use a speedy sleeve?

I guess the heat is not enough to hurt the seal?
Just Do It !

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:23 pm

EZ,

That's a Network Analyzer in the back ground. (nothing to do with Cubs, sorry) As for the heat and the seal only time will tell but that's why I only heated it up to 220. I did replace the seal but did not use a speedy sleeve, the pulley showed no signs of wear whatsoever. I did test fit the seal to make sure and it was nice and tight. I was amazed considering the condition of the rest of the tractor.

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:23 pm

Hi Donny,

Looks like you are making progress on your tractor. I just got mine from
the machine shop yesterday minus the head. I will soon start putting it
back together.

CUB BUD and I were having the same discussion about heating the pulley
as he was driving his dad's back on with a big block of wood. I have seen
where some said they heated to 345 deg F. Looks to me like that would
damage the oil seal. I was even considering doing mine that way until
I saw BUD drive his on cold.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:41 pm

At 220 degrees, you are barely hot enough to boil the water in the radiator. Operating temperature of much of the engine is well above that.

Here is a site with some operating temperatures that I think are pretty conservative. The lowest they quote is Nitrile at 225.

http://www.tobar.com/pdf/material_elastomer_selection.pdf

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:14 pm

Jim,
The Nitrile or Buna-N is the same compound that most black "O" rings are made of. I think I was pretty safe by only heating the pulley to 220 as it cools somewhat before it makes contact with the seal. The crank makes a good heat sink.

I also think that the 225 number is a little conservative.

Return to “Farmall Cub”