This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tire wobbles

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:45 pm

This is beginning to get confusing!

The zerk fittings in the steering parts are NOT standard pipe sizes, but much smaller. They are the same size as the inner part that is removable from the 1/8" pipe zerks... which appears to be 1/4-28. The tap drill size to use is #3 which is .213". The tap drill for 1/8" pipe is much larger... 11/32" or .343".
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:08 pm

George.... Here we go again. You are absolutely correct. I just went down the basement and checked a 1/8 pipe tap. Way larger than 1/4-28. My memory is history I guess. I don't know where I got the info from my last post. Out in left field. Anyway, it will be a 1/4-28 grease fitting, which I believe is tapered. It can be screwed in a regular 1/4-28 thread. Gets tight as it goes in. (Tap drill for 1/4-28 is a #3 drill)
Ron

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:53 pm

Ron, you are right, you can use a standard tap whenever you don't have a pipe tap for the reasons given.
Michael

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:22 pm

Hi All

I am not an expert, this morning I went down to my tractor and with a 5/16 socket took a grease fitting out of another part of the steering. I cleaned it up went to the part store and said , do you have any of these zerk fittings? The man said here you go a 5 pack, I say any with a 45 degree angle as Rudi mention in another post, he says here you go. I said this is not a standard thread and showed him the taper on the one I brought in. He said nope and it is not a pipe thread either. It is a taper thread. The new package read 1/4 inch taper zerk fitting, and were the same size as the one I had. I said well I need the correct tap for this fitting. He got out a book made a phone call and the person said yup taper tap for zerk fittings. He said I will have one tomorrow, I said please make it 2 so I can grind one down and use it as a bottoming tap for places like I am working now that the hole is only 3/8 deep. I came home and with an 1/8 inch drill drilled the hole that is already in the fitting for the grease to go through to 1/8 inch. With some kroil and the smallest easyout I have was able to get out the broken fitting. I stuck the spay straw from the kroil can down through both hole where the grease flows. I took a new fitting, and put in most of the way in by hand. Took it out and will chase the thread with the new tap tomorrow. I will read what it says on the tap package tomorrow and post, unless you think you already know, then I will just not post about this topic anymore,even if down the line someone has a question. I don't know as much as alot of people on here and like I said many times before I have mental illness and only work on my cub an hour here and there. When I do get to work on it I try to do the job correct even if it's only a little task. I am sorry if I caused any confusion what so ever. THANK YOU !! for all your knowledge and you time. Paul K. in N.H.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:03 pm

Paul:

Excellent :!: That is one sure way of getting the right part.

Oh, and I think this has been an interesting thread, we all have either learned something new or relearned things we have forgotten. As we get going on different parts of a repair or a restoration, we sometimes forget what we have already done.

BTW, the only way to become an expert on anything, is to do it over and over again until you get it right time after time! Experience is a life time project.

As for the confusion, hey it happens and it usually ends up proving positive as has been demonstrated by the great folks on this forum time and time again. Confusion breeds discussion, discussion breeds knowledge, knowledge breeds confidence. And all of this breeds friendship!

So there you go - you contribute much more than you think! :wink: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:08 pm

As for the confusion, hey it happens and it usually ends up proving positive as has been demonstrated by the great folks on this forum time and time again. Confusion breeds discussion, discussion breeds knowledge, knowledge breeds confidence. And all of this breeds friendship!

Very well said, Rudi! Thank you.
George Willer

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:23 pm

Hi ALL
If that tap comes in tomorrow, as he said and it says 1/4 inch NPT which I believe stands for Natoinal pipe thread, then we will know there is nothing special about it. If it reads 1/4 taper tap then I would say there may be a differece. THANKS YOU !! Paul K. in N.H.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:57 pm

Paul,

If it is a 1/4" NPT, don't try to use it... it will be more than 1/2" at the big end due to the taper. :o :o :o I think you are on the right track. Your idea of taking one of the other Zerks was a good one. They are the same.
George Willer

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:11 pm

Thanks Rudi,

Said better my couldn't self have. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:16 pm

Yes it should be a small tap, after I cleaned it all out, the top of the hole was only about .190 t0 .200 across.Paul k

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:21 pm

Donny M wrote:Thanks Rudi,

Said better my couldn't self have. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donny...... Too, me .
Ron

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:34 pm

Hi All
I hope everyone is doing well. I picked up the tap for the grease fitting, no package info. They just came in a plastic bag. On the tap it says Hanson 1/4-28 NF #3 drill USA. So it didn't look like it had any taper and I used a micrometer and no taper. I know someone said that is what to use, I think someone even said #3 drill. I don't have # drills, #3 is .2130 ,so I used 13/64 at .2031 and little oil, tapped the hole and threaded in a new zerk by hand. The only other thing I found out at the parts store is the also sell self tapping zerks, but I looked at them yesterday and they look the same, and I think they only self tap into mild steel. THANKS !! Paul k. in N.H.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:19 pm

Paul. You did an excellent job. Your going to become a machinist yet. When you pump grease into that fitting, see if the grease leaks out the threaded area (not really a big deal). If you want, you can take out and add some teflon tape...........
Ron

Return to “Farmall Cub”