This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburator dust seal problem :(

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:37 am

Sorry for posting such a threatening statement

Just as long as the one-legged Chicken doesn't appear, I'll be OK :D

I should have stayed home today instead of coming into the office, as when the idea hit me last night, I wanted to try and make them, but realized what time it was, and you all know I need my "Beauty Sleep" :twisted: :twisted:

Actually, I might just get this item at work done quick today, I have 4 computers chunking away right now spitting out data all over the place, I might just leave after lunch and go home and try my hand at making the retainers unless Chris beats me to it :?:
Mike Duncan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:22 pm

OK..Picked a few things up this AM that thought might work and took a few pics of what I think might be the simplest fix. Rubber Grommet I.D. 3/16-O.D.7/16- thickness 3/16. It looks pretty clean, is a nice snug fit, and the shaft works smoothly. I think I can use a thin coating of permatex or other to hold them in place even though they are a snug fit. The downside is not looking "original" (but really can't see these anyway, and will they hold up to gasoline without swelling? I guess at .25 cents per you could replace them all day anyways. Thoughts carb gurus? :-:-):

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Me Bad...posting thumbnails :?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:34 am

Chris,

Try it for a while and see how it works out. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:23 am

Hey Chris, looks like a professional looking fix to me. Nice and neat :D

Rick

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:32 am

Can't thik of a greater thing than a Rick endorsement. He was the guy they turned to when the assembly line stopped assembling.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:20 am

Chris:

Looking at the parts breakdown, it is quite clear to me that the dust plugs and seals just help keep dust from the field out of the carb when the choke is used, and when the Idle moves.

If the sole purpose is to keep out dust then your fix should be well worth using. :big afro: This is a good candidate for a How To Article for the Cub Book of Knowledge... :idea: :!:

I really do not see the possibility of much fuel actually getting to the rubber washers, aside from maybe a very small amount of fumes as a by-product. Should not affect the rubber much at all I would think..

Yust me dos centavos and remember a mechanic I ain't :big shy: :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Into Tractors » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:56 pm

Chris, looks good. I don't think that they'll break down, unless they were to "sit" in gasoline for a peroid of time? I'm betting they'll hold up for a long, long time. Even if they break down in 5 yrs, you can simply replace them anyway without having to dismantle the carb anyway?

Any chance you tried making 1/2 a retainer using the other idea?

I haven't had the chance to try it myself. Got caught up with something else last night, and I just got back from Columbus as I "Might" be buying: another tractor, C-22 mower, 42" Woods mower, 2 54 grader blades, a plow, set of rear wheel weights, and possibly a Farmall A (didn't tell the wife about that one yet :!: ), as well as I may have found a potatoe plow/digger for a Cub? Gotta go thru some manuals to make sure the items I found are what I "Think" they are.

Good thing BD is at Cubarama or else he'd be sniffing around in the territory too?
Mike Duncan

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:49 am

LOL MIKE,
Is a Good Thing we are downwind of BD in MO. He probably didn't have a clue. :wink: I haven't tried the 1/2 retainer thing yet as I was impressed enough with the grommet thing that I finished carb rebuild and she fired right up. I did pick up 4 #6 finish washers though and still might see what I can come up with in that direction.
As far as the tractor it didn't want to stay running after things heated up and was just running poor. I cleaned fuel system, rebuilt carb, pulled cleaned reinstalled manifold, adjusted valves(were at .05 I believe) :cry:, cleaned gapped plugs, cleaned regapped points(were wide), and fires right up and runs well. I did compression test and 104-108-104-109 dry and 112-106-120-115 wet. Oil pressure is almost pegged cold and about 1/2 warm with old oil. Smokes a bit but not bad. I think I'll look into the governor next because there seems to be a bit of lag until gov wants to kick in. Isn't any slop in the linkage so I'm thinking a good cleaning and possibly springs...we'll see.
I'll still give the #6 washer a look at when I get time and I'll let you know.
Thanks Mike.

Rudy,
I'll give this fix a bit to see if all is ok but it looks good and seems like it will do the trick. If all holds up I can post a HOW TO so it might help others. Thanks for the offer...Will that mean "I'm Published?" :worthy:
Chris Todd

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:58 am

Hi Guys,

:twisted:
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Jim:

You just had to do it didn't you.. huh, huh, huh,.... :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Into Tractors » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:54 am

Leave it to Jim to find a one-legged chicken :oops: :twisted:

Since it looks like Chris found the rubber O-Ring idea to work, neither of us have tried the other "Stupid" (or "Chickened-Out Idea" as Rick would refer to it), that I have thought up.

My other idea it to "make" a retainer ring using a brass finish washer?

Not sure what size washer (#6 or a #8 )to try, but my idea is to drill a hole into either a solid piece of wood/metal that is the size of what the retainer needs to be, then "Force" the finish washer into the hole be peen'ing it in using a bolt to "Form" the washer into the shape of the original retainer? While the washer is "Inside" the "Mold" drill the hole the correct size to accept the choke shaft. You could then use a rubber O-Ring, as Chris has used on it's own, behind the newly formed retainer.

Not sure if using a hammer to drive a bolt into the washer is the best idea though, since I have a hyd press, I'll probably go the route and see how it works.
Mike Duncan

Return to “Farmall Cub”