This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Manuals on Server

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Manuals on Server

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:10 pm

Guys:

Got a question :idea: I am into the rather large Parts Manuals - some of them have like 200 to 300 pages. Yup, gonna take a little time :shock:

What I want to find out is what you all think about this idea.

All the files are being converted to two main formats where possible -

HTML format and
PDF format

The goal here is to make it much easier to access and view the manuals :idea: For those on Dial-up modems, the HTML files will probably be a better format, and for those on cable, ADSL, DSL or T! lines, either will work with the HTML being slightly faster.

For printing purposes though, I think the PDF's will be the answer as I still have yet to learn how to format HTML that is printer friendly :? :roll:

Here is the question: It takes a lot of time to set up the code for the individual jpeg files. Can I just remove this option all together or should I leave it :?:

For those like me who go to the server, grab a url and paste into a post for clarification on a problem, you will still be able to do it, but I think it will be a much faster search if it is broken down into sections as the Blue Ribbons are now in the HTML format.

I need to know from as many as possible what you think. I am doing a CBI-1A at the moment and the jpeg code is going to be a killer.

Thoughts please :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:24 pm

Reomve the option. Be Rudi friendly :lol: :lol:

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:43 pm

Rudi,

Please break it down into sections! So my manuals don't get greasy, I like to print out the pages I need to compare what I have to the real McCoy and make notes with little drawings if need be. Sectioning the manuals can be a terrific time saver.

If it's easier on you as well, make it so. You're doing a wonderful job and I don't want you to burn out!

Carl

CaptPaulret
10+ Years
10+ Years

Files

Postby CaptPaulret » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:16 pm

Rudi
As a member that reads this forum every day, I say do it which ever way is the easist for you. I know I speak for everyone when I say you give us sooo much. We all appreciate the extreme effort you put into this. YOU ARE THE GRATEST. THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Capt. Paul
Capt. Paul Ret.
Oswego, NY

Bob Hawley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44882
Tractors Owned: !949 Farmall Cub

Postby Bob Hawley » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:34 pm

Rudi, Please make it easy on yourself. Your info is very, very helpful. I, too copy many of your pages to use, to keep from getting my manuals messed up. I use dial-up. I do have trouble printing out some of the pages, I usually get three fourths of the page, but I hand copy the other info if it's needed. This happens on the mower info pages mainly. Thanks again for going to the trouble of posting all the info. Bob Hawley :)
Bob Hawley

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:45 pm

Bob Hawley wrote: I do have trouble printing out some of the pages, I usually get three fourths of the page, but I hand copy the other info if it's needed. This happens on the mower info pages mainly. Thanks again for going to the trouble of posting all the info. Bob Hawley :)

Bob, don't know what system you are using to copy them, but I make a folder named whatever the manual is, then right click on the page on the server (just the page number, not an open page), then select the save as option. That saves the page to your hard drive, and you can then print it any time you want.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

FlyByNite
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FlyByNite » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:14 pm

I'm an affectionado of PDF's, download them once and you have them, print pages as needed. The individual jpegs are handy for copy and paste to get just the needed info out, but there again, once I have the PDF, I can pull individual pages out and send them. I can see where maintaining three different sets of files would get old fast. I guess if something has to go it should be the individual jpegs.

Enjoy
FlyByNite
48 Cub # 55082

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:36 pm

Rudi. Make it easy on yourself. After all, if we have a problem with something on your site, we can just buy the item from Binder Books or some other place.
Ron

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:50 pm

Hi Rudi

I would think that for what you are doing on your site that PDF files would be the way to go. I would dump the jpg. But like the other have already said do what works best for Rudi.

Your site is great. Thanks

Mike

Bob Hawley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44882
Tractors Owned: !949 Farmall Cub

Postby Bob Hawley » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:51 am

John*.?-!.*, Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. Bob Hawley
Bob Hawley

Weav27
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Weav27 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:44 am

I think all bases have been covered in the prior responses. I have a personal preference to pdf's but that is just me. I deal with databases daily and please, do it the easiest way for you. It is such a help and there is no point in getting burnt out while trying to do the best for everyone. Technology changes, software changes, people will too. I think that if members can figure out how to post an image then they could become proficent in any format with time and practice.
Working on tractors is a true test of one's ability to balance patience and temper.

Basketcase
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Basketcase » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:07 am

Rudi,
First let me thank you for all the work you have done. The information you have posted has save me so much time and many dumb questions. I am neither a mechanic nor a computer whiz, but with the service you provide I will eventually get this Cub back together.
As for how you put the manuals on you site. What ever is easiest for you will be just fine. I will figure out how to work with it. Everyday I learn a little more about the cub and the computer. Many many thanks. Mike

rdunstan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rdunstan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:29 am

Rudi-
I was very pleased when I discovered the manuals you put up. Thanks a bunch - it sure has helped me. :-)

At home, the individual pages are great becasue I live at the end of a rather slow dialup. This allows me to look at a page or two in the table of contents and then get only the page or pages of interest. Still slow, but manageable. On the otherhand, at work, I have a fast connection and would prefer to download an entire manual/chapter.

For a couple of chapters of particularl interest, I downloaded the pages, inserted them into a Word document and then converted to pdf. Very handy.

So my vote would be to maintain the individual pages as well as posting the entire section in HTML or pdf.

rocketman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rocketman » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:06 pm

Rudi,

I like the options you had before; individual pages as HTML or jpeg and complete docs as PDF. This gives flexibility to dial up and DSL/cable users.

But of course, you know my view is tainted....................

If you want, I'll help assemble individual files to pdf for you as individual pages or complete docs as before. Divide and conquer!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:58 pm

Well, seems as some thoughts have been posted on this rather ubiquitous subject.... :roll:

I think for the time being, I will leave the jpeg's as an option on the pages I have already converted. On the new pages starting with the CBI-1A, I will be deleting the jpeg option as each individual jpeg can be downloaded. I do find the html file is much easier to use because you can scroll down as needed instead of having to reload page by page.

As the files are converted to pdf's, that option will become available as well. However, I have to finish the html's first. Some very generous fellow cubbers have offered to help me with the pdf's and that is greatly appreciated and the files will be sent to you all in due course!

Thanks for input guys, as well as the kind words, they are appreciated. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”