This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hay Prices $$$

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Hay Prices $$$

Postby Brandon Webb » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Here in southern KY we are going through a drought. Everyone's ponds and creeks are bone dry, and the drought killed everyone's second cutting of hay, They've already fed all their hay, and are selling out. The cattle market is flooded, cattle are cheap. I went to the stock sales yesterday with my grandfather he bought a new bull. Several good looking cows 2-3 months with calf sold for $250. Rolled Hay is Bringing $60-$100 dollars a bale here. Is this just here or is anyone else experiencing this? It'd be a good time to buy cattle if someone had the hay to feed them. It's dry here. They are starting to shut down car washes in town because of water usage. It hasn't rained here forever. I've not mowed my yard in over a month and a half. It's just dead.

The cattle market owners are getting rich, they're buying all the cattle cheap and shipping them out of here, to the land of green acres. :lol:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:51 pm

Brandon, funny you mention hay. My FIL was just asking me the other day to consider making hay in my pasture field. Prices here are up as well, and everyone is wanting it as feed prices are high. Guess the good thing is that the crop yield up here is looking good. Even though there was a lack of rain this year, the crops are still looking good. My BIL mentioned the other day that the moisture content is so good, there are several folks that have been combining that aren't going to have to dry it very much at all prior to taking it to the grain elevator.
Mike Duncan

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:06 pm

Same story here, we had excess hay to cut this year, didn't really get all we could have done, now look. Boy I wish we could do it over. We waited to late on the first cutting, then the drought, no second cutting. Most people just bushhogged their fields because there was no use in cutting it for 3 or 4 bales. They are trucking hay in here and selling. I mean everyone is selling their cattle, even people who have had cows for as long as I can remember.

Baydog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54017

Lack of Rain

Postby Baydog » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi Brandon, In NW Wisconsin we also experianced a 6 to 8 week dry period this summer. I managed to get the hay I needed in June and it was a good cutting and high quality. We had no second cutting and this fall my neighbor who has 15 horses and feeds all year long is almost out. I found a field for him to cut after he took a cutting from mine and wouldn't you know the rain started the day after it was on the ground and it hasn't quit since. Some of the corn is also very spotty some good and some terrible. I kind of wish I could take advantage of the low cattle prices but it would be a long way to haul and I am not really set up for cattle. By the way that hydrolic unit you sent me a couple years ago works well. The tractor has been totally restored and purrs like a kitten. It is used regularly to drive over to the neighbors where we gather at 4:00 for can of suds. Hope you are well. Don
49 Cub
2910 Kubota
IH Collectors - Wisconsin Chapter #4

99svtgreensnake
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 99svtgreensnake » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:44 pm

I am sorry to hear that if you guys were closer to me I would let you cut the hay off my fields. I have over 25 acres that have hay that would work for you.

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:43 pm

$60-$125 here is WKY Brandon. Noticed lots of people bailing there corn stalks. Seen it before but not real common in this area. Been a bad year for hay here :evil:

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:05 am

I know that hay here is getting$$$$My old next door neighbor used my 16 ft trailer and her truck to get some hay cheeper else where.She keeps about 4 horses now.She didn't like me moving cause I helped out unloading the hay.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:33 am

Real dry in Virginia. Small square bales of horse hay are going for $10 each.
Best,
Mike

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:52 am

Interesting contrast to all your stories, but here in Vermont we've had the best feed year in probably the last decade. Enough rain, but not too much or all at once, and some nice dry weather for harvest. In some places, they're going to get a fourth cutting of forage crops and the corn (which often has problems due to short season here) is tall and well-eared.

Lots of dairy guys who went out of business over the last decade still sell hay. Local prices for horse hay are around $2 square bale, but if you can truck it toward Boston, Connecticut, downstate NY and NJ, you can look for anything from $4 to $10.

All this and $20 milk!

Baydog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54017

Hay Prices

Postby Baydog » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:10 am

$ 10.00 a bale, Holy Moses but that explains why I see Semi Trucks loaded with hay headed East on I 94 all the time. It is hard to find hay in this area that is just grass because the dairy industry uses alphalfa. I guess we are all subject to the weather either good or bad. Don
49 Cub

2910 Kubota

IH Collectors - Wisconsin Chapter #4

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:46 am

Here in Canada, there was a severe drought a few years back in the prairies, hay was hard to come by for a lot of farmers. The farmers here in NB, NS and PEI, had lots.. so they got together and sent (with corporate help from CN) car loads of hay out west. Must have been 4 or 500 car loads... hay was donated, and CN helped out with the flatbed rail cars.

Sometimes we need to help our brothers and sisters when acts of nature wipe out the crops. Is this common in your areas as well :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Rudi, Last year on a smaller scale it was done here in Colorado. Some of the southern part of the state had so much snow, that farmers couldn't get to their stacks, or to their livestock. Hay was trucked in and then dropped by helicopter to keep the cattle alive until farmers could get pathways plowed to them. Still was a high loss of cattle in some areas.

Bob

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:59 pm

OK, guys. Educate me.

I see hay advertised here as first cutting, second cutting, etc. I understand what the terms mean, but what is the difference in the cuttings and which is best? Thanks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Don:

From what I understand, first cutting is best as it has the most nutrients as it is the spring growth. Also more tender than second. Second cutting is hardier..and will keep pretty well. Third cutting if you can get it is what is used up first. Doesn't keep as well. Fourth cutting------ wow! gotta have an excellent year for that.

Remember, I am still a neophyte farmer... with lots to learn.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:27 pm

It's about $8 a bale for horse feed out here. The nearest hayfields are about 70-80 miles away. The nearest real commercial hay fields are much further. We've got lots of sheep, cattle, horses, and even the occasional llama around the area, but most all the animals out here are free range.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”