This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Camshaft & idler gears

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Camshaft & idler gears

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:08 am

I have the engine mounted on the engine stand up side down and I am in the process of disassembly. This is a first time for me and you guys have given me the courage to attempt this rebuild, thanks. When I removed the main bearings the pistons almost fell out on the floor! I knew it needed rings. Everything looks to be in great shape. No scars or grooves that I can see but I will have the machine shop do the inspection.

Here is my question - I had to stop because I could not remove the camshaft & idler gears. Are these pressed on? What tool should I use and is there any danger in breaking them? I didn't want to mess anything up.

I guess it's off to Harbor Freight again! :D

Thanks
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:45 pm

HI Ken, the idler gear is on a round slip block. (Best description I could think of,,sorry!) The block is counter sunk into the engine block, and is a snug fit. Carefully use a pry on either side of the gear, and work around the gear to remove the gear with the slip block. The slip block fits into the engine block around an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch (I think).
The cam gear would come out best with the cam. If you want to take it off the cam, use a press once you have removed the cam and gear from the engine. There are 2 or 3, I think 2, bolts in a retaining plate that hold the cam into the engine, the bolts are accessable through the holes in the cam gear, by turning the cam till you can see the head of the bolt.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out. :D
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:23 am

Thanks Partsman,
You are exactly right. I successfully persuaded the idler gear off last night but the cam shaft does not want to come out even after I removed those two bolts. I think that the valve tappets are still applying enough pressure to not allow the shaft to come out. So of to NAPA for a valve spring compresser tool today. I will need it for reassemble anyways.
Ken, Annie the '48.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:40 am

Ken,

You are on the right track....remove the valves and push the tappets up (down if the block is upside down) and the camshaft will come out the front. Inspect the camshaft (especially the lobes) and the tappets for wear. Keep up the good work :!: 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:45 am

Thanks Cub-Bud, How are you?
Once I supress the valve springs I need to remove some kind of keeper?
It is very hard to see and I'm not sure how to do it. The manual is not
specific enough for a non-mechanic.
Ken, Annie the '48.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:43 am

I'm doing GREAT :!: I am currently involved in three (3) tractor renews...my 1945 Farmall B, my Dad's 1948 FCUB, and John Puckett's 1949 FCUB. I am also lending a hand to Russ Leggitt in his engine rebuild on one of his cubs next week.

AIN'T IT GREAT :!: :D

Once the valve springs are compressed, you will see two keepers per valve that are currently hidden inside the spring seats. You may find a small telescoping probe magnet a big help in retrieving the keepers.

Good luck and keep us posted. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:46 am

On the bottom of the valve spring is a cupped "washer" . the keepers are 2 tapered pieces that fit around the valve and slide up into the cupped washer. they have a tendancy to fall down into the engine, so it is a good idea either to plug the oil drain holes, or put something under the engine to catch them. If you have a parts manual there is a good illustration of them in group 12 page 11.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to figure it out tonight. I want my engine to look as good as Donny's! :lol:
Ken, Annie the '48.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:59 pm

Ken,

Thanks for the complement!! When putting the valve keepers back in you may want to look for a 3 handed helper. It would have been much easier for me if I had 3 hands.

The guy next door has 3 hands but wanted an arm and a leg to help. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:07 pm

When reinstalling the keepers, make sure the valve stem is dry, and put a little grease on the inside of the keeper. it will stick to the valve stem and then you only need 2 hands.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:22 pm

Thanks John, now you tell me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess Mr. GW's right.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:20 pm

John, you are amazing! I should have thought about looking at the parts manual. It would show each piece in more detail. Wow the grease trick is one of those "now why didn't I think of that" things. Maybe now you can tell me how to get the grease out from under mu nails. My food is starting to taste funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken, Annie the '48.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:24 pm

Ken, it's an acquired taste. You'll get used to it. :D :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:38 pm

Merry tells me "you smell like tractor." I tell her that I like it better than any cologne I've ever smelled. Now if it just had the same effect on Merry :wink: :wink: :wink:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:57 pm

I learned the grease trick from my Father. we used it to hold small parts in place on a number of items.

Return to “Farmall Cub”