This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Zerk Fittings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob Hawley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44882
Tractors Owned: !949 Farmall Cub

Zerk Fittings

Postby Bob Hawley » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:39 pm

While I was reading all the posts on "tire wobbles" I printed the posts out and checked out my Cub. Now I have a question. According to my parts catalog TC37F, in group 05 page B01, there is a grease fitting on the steering column collar, "38". #38 part number is 66584D, Fitting, 3/16 str drive type lub. I do not have one on my Cub, there is just a hole, also doesn't appear to be any threads. I have not had the chance to get to the IH dealer, quite a drive away, so I tried TSC (2 of them) and several hardwares and auto parts stores. No luck! I was told more than once to just put oil down the hole. I'm trying to do this right. The book shows a fitting, so I think that would be the way to go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bob :?:
Bob Hawley

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:01 pm

Bob. I checked my service manual and sure enough, it showed a grease fitting. So, I went out and checked my '48. No fitting. Then thought it was a later revision. Checked my '55. No fitting. Just a hole as you described. My service manual (GS-1411) is dated 1976. So..... if you want to add a grease fitting, someone will have to chime in to tell you when that was added and if it would be OK with the "C.P." if your concerned. Also, you should make some kind of retainer to resist the grease from just running out.............
Ron

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:01 pm

My Cub steering coller only has a hole for oil and in my manual it shows a picture with an arrow pointing to the hole saying "Apply oil can". Also on the side notes it says "Use an oil can and put a few drops of engine oil in the oil hole".
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:36 pm

The book shows a fitting, so I think that would be the way to go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bob

Bob,

The vast majority of Cubs only have the oil hole, and it is adequate. The excess oil is less of a problem than a gob of grease would be when you aren't prepared for the mess.

I just checked all my Cubs and only found one with the zerk... 10 without. I have no intention of ever greasing it and making a mess to get into. I learned that lesson from my Fords that are always messy.

YMMV.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bob Hawley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44882
Tractors Owned: !949 Farmall Cub

Postby Bob Hawley » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:47 pm

Thanks to Ron L, johnbron, and George Willer, I really appreciate that you've taken the time to physically check your Cubs. Now I'm glad I asked, I wasn't too sure when I was putting the post together. I'll do the oil trick and be satisfied. I think you're right George, that wouldn't be the greatest spot to have a grease glob. Thanks for the :) response guys. Bob
Bob Hawley

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:51 pm

:lol: George, When you are all dressed up in your White shirt giving rides to the ladies at the tractor shows on your tricycle Cub you surely dont want to get that steering collar grease on your cuff-links now do you?. I agree with you and I will stay with the oil-can lube lubrication on my low speed steering shaft collar. :lol:
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:12 pm

johnbron wrote::lol: George, When you are all dressed up in your White shirt giving rides to the ladies at the tractor shows on your tricycle Cub you surely dont want to get that steering collar grease on your cuff-links now do you?. I agree with you and I will stay with the oil-can lube lubrication on my low speed steering shaft collar. :lol:

Bronson,

You're right! I wouldn't want to be embarrassed in front of those nice ladies. :lol: There might be special cases where the grease would be necessary, but for most of us I think it's overkill.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”