This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Being road legal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Being road legal

Postby treesitter » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:08 pm

As I read part of an article in my new Farm & Dairy paper about farm equip. sharring the road, the risk, civil lawsuits, etc. I was curious as to what would be needed to make an old working 48 Cub road legal. Not that I drive on the road, except for 100' or so on the berm to get to the neighbors drive to plow snow once in a while, nor do I plan on any. Is there a 'grandfather clause'? Not that there is any room for too much safety. I do have a big slow moving vehicle emblem on the back and use the lights and red rear when I'm doing my drive apron.

I also read they are thinking about a new symbol/emblem to reflect many of the new tractors being able to go faster than 25mph since the standard slow moving triangle emblem is for 25mph of less. I guess I won't have to find a place on the Cub to mount that if it comes out....

Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:21 pm

I believe here in Ohio, all you need is the SMV emblem in the daytime and lights at night. Flashing lights improve visibility but are not a requirement at this time. You should be able to find out whatever you need at this link:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:51 pm

Here in New Brunswick, all we have to have is an SMV sign. I have both the red tail-light and an amber flashing light as well. Yup - 6 volt flashing light :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:15 pm

In Maine, you aren't supposed to operate an unregistered vehicle on the highways at all. When I tried to register my Ford tractor, I was told I had to provide proof of insurance (required by law here for cars). I gave up, and try to stay off the road--although I, too, have to drive a few hundred feet on the road a few times a year.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:24 pm

Jeff. Are you telling us that the Amish folk must insure their buggies? Or is that just for motorized vehicles?
Ron

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:44 am

Another quick note about the SMV signs on our tractors.

The signs must be covered up or removed if your SMV is on a trailer for transport (or pickup! ) You CAN get a ticket as there IS a law prohibiting any use other than prescribed by the SMV law. Check with your local State Hwy Patrol.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:25 am

This happened many years ago. The words went something like this............

Patrolman: The reason I stopped you was your failure to display a SMV sign.

Me: I'm sorry, I didn't know one was required.

Patrolman: Yes, They're required whenever the vehicle travels less than 25 MPH.

Me: Well, I was going 27 MPH. :twisted:

Patrolman: I'm sorry, Sir, I didn't clock you, so I didn't know. Have a nice day!

------------

On a good day that old Case TLB might get up to 13 MPH! :lol: :lol: :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:06 am

Just respond that your tractor can do 30 so you didn't feel it applied. It can if your heading down a steep hill and it slips out of gear.

I put the SMV sign on the back of my cub when it was in my pickup. With the cub in it I figured I was moving slow enough to need one.

Do y'all find that people try to squeeze between you and oncomming traffic when your driving you cub on the road? My neighbor drives his about 1.5 miles regurally and with the right wheels just on the edge of the pavement. He said the cub is so small people try that on him. I replied I found it better to drive so It took the whole lane so as to prevent such stunts.

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:33 pm

Thanks Bigdog. I went to the OH DOT website and it is only the SMV emblem and front/rear lights at night as you thought.

Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:59 pm

Chris Jones wrote:I found it better to drive so It took the whole lane so as to prevent such stunts.

For the same reason, it is generally recommended that motorcycles running solo use the left wheel track.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:10 pm

Here in New Jersey you have to carry liability insurance. you used to have to have tractor plates but the last governor did away with that. My problem is that my town requires any vehicle to be registered if it is stored outside, I don't run down the road with it because I don't have insurance on it , and it is a 6 month liscence suspension if you get caught, when I have it at my house and its not being used I park it on my trailer which is registered so far no problems. When its at the farm It lives in the pole barn, but every once in a while I do need the loader here.T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:18 pm

If you have a farm, you should have liability insurance on the farm, which may include liability for a tractor when it is on a road. If you just have some acreage, liability from homeowners insurance may extend to the property. I believe all these coverages vary from state to state because of individual state insutrance boards.

Bottom line, check with your insurance agent. You may have the required liability coverage and not know it.

If push comes to shove on your town's registration requirement, it probably isn't valid either.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:58 pm

They do have a blanket policy on the farm and they do cover me when I am working for them, but it isn't my farm so I am not covered when its here . They enacted this new ordinance a few years ago when a landscaper got a little crazy with parking his equipment all over his yard in the middle of town, basically it was to force his business out of the residential zone. He had pallets of concrete pavers a backhoe and skid steer loader and all sorts of other stuff crammed into every nook and cranny of his yard including the front, he was a heck of a nice guy but it was a real eye sore. I am probably going to renew my insurance with the farm bureau this year for a cheaper rate and because they will issue me a policy for my tractors and old hay truck very cheaply as an add on. They busted me with this ordinance last year for a pickup I had parked in my driveway with a bad inspection sticker on it, it was registered and insured but not inspected, they gave me 45 days to get it inspected or remove it. As you can see my town council has a lot of time on their hands. T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:14 pm

It sure would be pretty hard to farm if I couldn't drive on the road.
I only have two fields that I can go to without going on the road. I even have to drive down US 14 to get to some fields.
It sounds like out east they are pretty screwed up.
Don't you have "Right to farm" laws? :-)
I am willing to bet that the people who passed these laws think milk comes from a bottle and that American cheese is cheese. LOL
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:55 pm

I am willing to bet that the people who passed these laws think . . .

I am willing to bet our professional political bandits don't think. At all.

Return to “Farmall Cub”