This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Black Walnut Price.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Black Walnut Price.

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Price for hulled black walnuts jumped 18.2% this fall from $11.00 to $13.00 per hundred pounds.

April freeze pretty much took care of the walnut crop in this area. Not enough walnuts to pay to pick them up this year. That was the bad news.

And the more bad news. Next year should be a bumper crop and the price will drop back to $11.00 a hundred or lower.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:28 pm

I am still looking for my nuts :!: Sure wish I could get some. I got a few walnuts from Mac, but the idiot landscapers had their helpers pull out the weeds... :oops: :oops: they actually left the weeds and pulled out the walnut trees..

Eugene, I wonder if there is any way to get a bunch to say Ron and Janelle or Cecil... or better yet Jeff M. We are still trying to get to Raymond before it gets too cold. Provided we don't have any more surprises.. like grandchildren, new apartments, moving to Europe and such... :shock: :roll: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm picking up nuts from the neighbors really outstanding tree. I had planned on picking up enough to crack and pick for cooking. So far I have only been able to pick up a twenty or thirty nuts. They just aren't there.

The hulls look good. I cracked about 10 of the nuts. About 1/3 of the nuts are empty. A few had hulls only, no nut. And the balance, the meat was poor quality.

Suggest posting in the "For Sale/Wanted" section. Perhaps some of the folks further east will have decent walnuts this year.

Sorry.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

canamscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby canamscott » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:22 pm

My nut crop in northeast Indiana is way down this year. Last year was 8 barrels. This year so far is about 1 1/2.

I got to wonder about an alternative to selling them. What is the BTU content of walnuts. Since guys are burning corn for heat, why not the walnut crop that already falls in my yard? The shells are so dense, there must be some good heat in them. I also know that the nut meat is rated higher in oil than cashews. I just installed the wood burner tonight and am trying to think creative.

Any thoughts?

Scott

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:08 am

i have lots of walnuts fallin all over the place out here and they are just goin to waste :x
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:38 am

canamscott wrote:My nut crop in northeast Indiana is way down this year. Last year was 8 barrels. This year so far is about 1 1/2.

I got to wonder about an alternative to selling them. What is the BTU content of walnuts. Since guys are burning corn for heat, why not the walnut crop that already falls in my yard? The shells are so dense, there must be some good heat in them. I also know that the nut meat is rated higher in oil than cashews. I just installed the wood burner tonight and am trying to think creative.

Any thoughts?

Scott

Not walnuts but at one of the shows Larry Dotson was burning hickory nuts in the campfire. They burned pretty hot. IMHO, the hickory nuts are fit to eat and walnuts aren't.

While looking for heating value which I didn't find easily in my handbooks I did find a surprise on the chart for various woods. The highest BTU/Lb is cottonwood at 6000 while white oak is 5558. Remember that a pound of cottonwood is much bigger.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:45 pm

learn something new every day , i was always under the idea that apple wood gave the most btu's . :oops:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Burning black walnuts. Probably not worth the time and effort to pickup, dry, store, then burn.

On the other hand, if you are going to clean up the lawn/pick them up, burn them. Grandparents used corncobs in the kitchen range and parlor stove because they had them.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”