This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

All Ready to Roll Without a Plow

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

All Ready to Roll Without a Plow

Postby Tom Z. » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:45 pm

I've had my cub two years now. Last year was spent cleaning and assembling the various parts, and my dad and I got it running (more him than me), but too late to put in a garden.

A garden was the big selling point to my wife. I promised her tomotoes, corn, and green beans to her heart's content. (Although I don't really know what I'm doing, agriculture wise, I'm learning as fast as I can.)

It came with a heep of impliments, rusted and tangled. The previous owner told me there were cultivators, a planter, and a plow, plus a snow blade. He had owned the tractor only as a bunch of parts, and ran out of time to work on it. So, the cub, the baskets of parts, and the mass of odd shaped metal pieces all came home and went in the shed.

I read manuals and found the snow blade. It was the first thing I've actually done with the cub. It was Christmas morning, and we had an eight inch snowfall. Only half the county got that much snow, so I think it was a Christmas present just to me. I can't really describe the joy I felt purring up and down the long bumpy drive under tree limbs weighed low with snow. It made all the effort worth it.

With Spring here, I decided this would be the year of the garden. Out in the shed, I sorted through the pieces. Cultivator arm, planter bin, planter drive chain, odd slotted flywheel from something with rebar welded into the slot, hmmm, no plow. At least no plow like I've seen in the manuals.

The regular planter has the big spoked wheel that pushes the ground back together, then there's this other planter? Actually, I don't have any idea what it is. It looks like the planter, but there's a small spoked wheel between the side flaps, not behind, and the flaps are attached to the frame with hinges? It almost looks like some homemade planter or fertilizer. It definetly isn't a plow, at least not the kind to turn yard into garden. I've never seen it any the manual either. (I admit I sometimes look at ones for stuff I don't own, just so I know what's out there.)

So now I am thinking of a way to explain to my wife that I don't actually have a plow. This is after I assured her I was done spending money on "Rusty." (I let her name it. I'm told this will make her more attached to it.)

It's Spring. I'm plowless. The ground is drying out just about right (so the neighbors tell me).

I just got the pick-up running again, after it sat idle with a bad sending unit all winter. I think I'll go plow hunting, and I just might get my wife her garden yet. I sure hope they're in season.

Tom Z.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: All Ready to Roll Without a Plow

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:22 pm

Tom Z. wrote:odd slotted flywheel from something with rebar welded into the slot,

there's a small spoked wheel between the side flaps, not behind, and the flaps are attached to the frame with hinges

Maybe the first thing is the feed wheel from a fertilizer attachment?

The second may be a rotary hoe and a pair of plant shields.

Post pictures of anything you can't identify and one of us will probably be able to identify it.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:11 am

Tom,

I have an extra plow in northern Ohio.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Plowless

Postby Tom Z. » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to negotiate with Mr. Willer privately, but I'll post some pictures of the unknown implement as soon as I can borrow a decent digital camera. My K-Mart going-out-of-business digital camera loses focus at close range.

Here's another question. Does human hair spread around a garden really keep away deer and rabbits? (Don't worry, I won't ask about snipe hunting or cow tipping...)

Thanks,

Tom Z.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Re: Plowless

Postby Ron L » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:05 pm

Tom Z. wrote:Here's another question. Does human hair spread around a garden really keep away deer and rabbits? (Don't worry, I won't ask about snipe hunting or cow tipping...)

Thanks,

Tom Z.

Yes...... But not for long. I know the deer get used to it. I had to put up range fence to keep them out of the garden...........
Ron

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:00 pm

An Uncle of mine had a BAD time with deer in his garden. He tried tinfoil pie plates on string, blowing in the breeze is supposed to keep deer away, :roll: a radio in an old mail box, and I'm sure numerous other things. Each worked for a time, but the deer get used to it. Try shooting a few. :D
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:10 pm

parts man wrote: Try shooting a few. :D

Best idea yet !
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:53 am

Make some FARMALL CUB STRAPS with em! That way they don't get into your field and you get some great tasting snacks
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Picture of Unknown Implement

Postby Tom Z. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:26 pm

Here's a link to the unknown implement, my cub (Rusty), and spot where I hope to have the garden.

http://members24.clubphoto.com/tom83934 ... 0ad6.phtml

As far as the deer go, the traffic on my road seems to be thinning the herd lately.

Thanks for all your help! And Rudi, I took your advice awhile back and got a house for Rusty from Farm Tek. Works great!

Tom Z.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:29 pm

Tom:

Glad that you got cover for Rusty. Looks good and there seems to be plenty of room. I hope it was affordable - looks like a good option for someone while waiting to build a shed/barn/garage/workshop!

I am real curious too about that implement.....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:56 pm

Could possibly be a potato plow.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:16 am

Glad that you got cover for Rusty. Looks good and there seems to be plenty of room. I hope it was affordable - looks like a good option for someone while waiting to build a shed/barn/garage/workshop!

Tom and I visited for a couple hours last night and he went home with a plow for Rusty, but I didn't follow the link until just now. When I saw the nifty shelter for Rusty I had one thought... paint booth!

I want one!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”